Catacombs (JK Greye)

General games-related topics
MikeW

Catacombs (JK Greye)

Post by MikeW »

Is it just me, or is Catacombs a roguelike games before roguelikes existed?

I'm not sure when Catacombs was released (81/82?), or even when rogue-type games became popular, but does anyone know the history of this game?
REX LIES IN WAIT
yerzmyey

Re: Catacombs (JK Greye)

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi,
if it's possible, I'd be grateful for the link.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

REX LIES IN WAIT
oscar

Post by oscar »

MikeW wrote:Is it just me, or is Catacombs a roguelike games before roguelikes existed?

I'm not sure when Catacombs was released (81/82?), or even when rogue-type games became popular, but does anyone know the history of this game?
I don't know anything about the history of that specific game (Catacombs), but according to Wikipedia, Rogue was developed in 1980. Of course, that doesn't mean that Catacombs was copied from or inspired by Rogue, they could have been thought of completely independently.
angus

Post by angus »

Catacombs was the first 16K ZX81 game that I bought. I remember the advertising at the time boasted that it was a "graphical adventure" unlike all the text adventures at the time.

I doubt that John Greye would have seen Rogue, which according to the all-knowing WIkipedia was developed and played on college Unix systems in the USA in the early 80's. Catacombs was written in 1981 by John Greye who was more of a musician than college computer user.

There are certainly similarities but I would imagine the two games were written entirely separately of each other.

I still occasionally give Catacombs a play. It's a bit slow, but it is still quite exciting seeing the rooms appear as you move around.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I too think it unlikely there's any connection between the two. However, acccording to wiki a roguelike game is

"The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by level randomization, permanent death, and turn-based movement. Most roguelikes feature ASCII graphics, with newer ones increasingly offering tile-based graphics. Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features."

I'm fairly confident catacombs fits most, if not all of that definitely. Maybe Rogue should be considered a Catacombslike :D
REX LIES IN WAIT
angus

Post by angus »

Catacombs was published in 1981, so it is quite possible it appeared before Rogue. But the chances are both were developed independently.