48K ROM copyrights holder

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
claudiu_cwg

48K ROM copyrights holder

Post by claudiu_cwg »

Hi everyone

I would like to check with you about the rights to the 48K. Would anyone have up-to-date information about the copyright owner? Or did anyone have any recent experience obtaining the rights?

The old Amstrad topic is 20 years old. Wos has some information from 2010. A website from a couple years back ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... -from-vega )
mentions Sky being the rights owner but doesn't specify if it's just the name or also the ROMs.

I'm currently implementing a PC game that focuses on recovering data from old tapes. A good part of the discovered data is 8bit software(BASIC or ASM) which would rely on the ROM routines.
While probably not mandatory, using the original ZX Spectrum ROM (48K) would make things easier.

For anyone interested about the game, further details are here: http://caffeinewithdrawalgames.com/TRS/details.html . Any feedback would be really appreciated

Thank you very much
1024MAK

Re: 48K ROM copyrights holder

Post by 1024MAK »

Sky bought Amstrad, hence Sky owns the copyright of the ZX Spectrum 16k/48k/+ ROMs, the 128k ROMs, the +2 ROMs and the +2A/+2B/+3/+3B ROMs.

See also this site (especially the link to here) and the Wikipedia article on Amstrad.

Since then, Sky Group has been taken over. See this Wikipedia article.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
claudiu_cwg

Post by claudiu_cwg »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm Sky bought Amstrad, hence Sky owns the copyright of the ZX Spectrum 16k/48k/+ ROMs, the 128k ROMs, the +2 ROMs and the +2A/+2B/+3/+3B ROMs.

See also this site (especially the link to here) and the Wikipedia article on Amstrad.

Since then, Sky Group has been taken over. See this Wikipedia article.

Mark
Thank you very much for your reply
Looking into Philip Kendall's page, Amstrad agreed to allow the ROMS to be distributed with minor restrictions. But can this still be held true since the rights changed owners ? Any ideas if the distribution rights were revoked or in any way changed ?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As far as I know, there have been no changes to the arrangements to date. The current owner (Sky) can change their mind at any time. However, as Amstrad and then Sky have not had a problem with the ZX Spectrum ROM code (as listed in my earlier reply) being distributed with emulators in the past (where the author has complied with the conditions), it’s unlikely this position will change.

If you intend to include any part of the ZX Spectrum ROM code in a commercial package then you do need to contact Sky and obtain written permission. If you are not charging for your software (apart from possibly a cost for media) and the ROM is being used by an emulator (even if not a fully functional, fully featured ZX Spectrum emulator), then you may be covered by the existing arrangements. You could still contact Sky and ask if you want absolute clarity.

It’s unlikely Comcast will even know what you want to talk about. So you would be better off taking some time to find the right person to communicate with at Sky Group Limited or Sky UK.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
claudiu_cwg

Post by claudiu_cwg »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm As far as I know, there have been no changes to the arrangements to date. The current owner (Sky) can change their mind at any time. However, as Amstrad and then Sky have not had a problem with the ZX Spectrum ROM code (as listed in my earlier reply) being distributed with emulators in the past (where the author has complied with the conditions), it’s unlikely this position will change.

If you intend to include any part of the ZX Spectrum ROM code in a commercial package then you do need to contact Sky and obtain written permission. If you are not charging for your software (apart from possibly a cost for media) and the ROM is being used by an emulator (even if not a fully functional, fully featured ZX Spectrum emulator), then you may be covered by the existing arrangements. You could still contact Sky and ask if you want absolute clarity.

It’s unlikely Comcast will even know what you want to talk about. So you would be better off taking some time to find the right person to communicate with at Sky Group Limited or Sky UK.

Mark
Thanks again for your clarifications. Yes, I will probably try to contact someone at Sky.

Just to be absolutely sure, as per the existing arrangements, I should be able to charge for my software, unless explicitly charging from the ROM, as per Cliff Lawson's words : "Naturally I imagine that some emulator writers want to charge a shareware fee for the code they have written and we have absolutely no problem with that as long as they aren't,in any sense, charging for the parts of the code that are (c)Amstrad and (c) Sinclair.". Am I understanding this correctly ?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The Spectrum Next apparently has permission from Sky. I can’t find anything on their own site, but this news article mentions it (search for “Sky In-Home Service Limited”).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
claudiu_cwg

Post by claudiu_cwg »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:13 pm The Spectrum Next apparently has permission from Sky. I can’t find anything on their own site, but this news article mentions it (search for “Sky In-Home Service Limited”).

Mark
Thank you
I'll try to contact them directly; maybe they are willing to share some information or contact from Sky
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

claudiu_cwg wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm Just to be absolutely sure, as per the existing arrangements, I should be able to charge for my software, unless explicitly charging from the ROM, as per Cliff Lawson's words : "Naturally I imagine that some emulator writers want to charge a shareware fee for the code they have written and we have absolutely no problem with that as long as they aren't,in any sense, charging for the parts of the code that are (c)Amstrad and (c) Sinclair.". Am I understanding this correctly ?
That’s how I understand it. But I recommend having a formal written letter or email from them so that there are no legal problems in the future. Also make it clear in your documentation and any adverts, that there is no charge for the ZX Spectrum ROM code.

Otherwise if at any point the situation changes, you may potentially end up in difficulties.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
claudiu_cwg

Post by claudiu_cwg »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:23 pm
claudiu_cwg wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm Just to be absolutely sure, as per the existing arrangements, I should be able to charge for my software, unless explicitly charging from the ROM, as per Cliff Lawson's words : "Naturally I imagine that some emulator writers want to charge a shareware fee for the code they have written and we have absolutely no problem with that as long as they aren't,in any sense, charging for the parts of the code that are (c)Amstrad and (c) Sinclair.". Am I understanding this correctly ?
That’s how I understand it. But I recommend having a formal written letter or email from them so that there are no legal problems in the future. Also make it clear in your documentation and any adverts, that there is no charge for the ZX Spectrum ROM code.

Otherwise if at any point the situation changes, you may potentially end up in difficulties.

Mark
Yes, definitely I will get a written confirmation from them.
Thank you very much