Boing boing!

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Shaun_B

Boing boing!

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi,

I've been playing around with the z88dk thingy and have half a game written for the old ZX81. It will currently only work on 32K enabled machines (I think this is less of a problem nowadays with the ZXPand), so I'm looking for testers so that I maybe finish it.

PM me if you're interested (and if you own a ZXPand).

Thanks,

Shaun.
Last edited by Shaun_B on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirmorris

Re: Boing boing!

Post by sirmorris »

I don't own the ZXpand, I PWN the ZXpand :twisted:
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Any other volunteers for testing?

Thanks,

Shaun.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Aye i'll give it a go :-)

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi,

Here's an early screen shot of the game - it could be a simple break out clone. It should be finished soon enough.

Regards,

Shaun.
Attachments
Early screen shot of my development.
Early screen shot of my development.
Boing.png (16.66 KiB) Viewed 14310 times
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

The game is finished I hope - see the Games sub-forum, it contains detailed instructions.

There should be 18 skill levels in there, as follows: ZZZZ, DULL, PUNY, BORE, SLOW, FLAT, SOMA, PREP, SAFE, GOOD, HELL, O MU, M HE, LLO , RUBY, MAE, ZX80, ZX81 - see if you can get upto ZX81 :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Not that anyone would notice, but there was a bug in the scoring system. As this is internal, I didn't notice either, but now it's fixed and you can get up to the level of ZX81 now! Sweet!

Edit: You can find a link to the source code through my blog at shaunbebbington.blogspot.com - it's partially commented, I usually put in more robust and descriptive comments into my code but as you're all clever people, you'll manage without I think.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Now version V1.0000000 is up, which has all of the bugs fixed I think.

If you have played it and have simply been following the ball around with the bat, this is not how I intended it to be played: you can reverse the direction of the ball on the X axis by hitting it from the corner of your bat, but only if you're moving in the opposite direction (left or right) to the ball. For each time you manage this, you're awarded a bonus point on the scoring system, so you're a little closer to the next level. If you do this eight times (I think), you're awarded an extra ball, but I find it quite tricky to get right.

The internal scoring awards you one point for each time you hit the ball on the bat, and a bonus point for each new level you pass. I couldn't get the score to print because of some problems with the z88dk, which has now been fixed but I don't have the new build. The game won't allow more that 12 lives. And there's a secret any key which unlocks a 'easy' mode; your bat is bigger, and you have 12 lives to start with, but the top of the play field is a little closer when you start. See if you can find the any key to get to this.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi,

It really has been a while since I wrote Bounce for the ZX81. I pretty dull game, I know. My idea was to make a game as simple as possible, and not simpler.

If anyone is interested, pressing SHIFT to start the game activates the cheat mode.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Almost six years to the day and I have made Bounce Redux, which has a completely fresh code-base and is more how I wanted the original game to be but was perhaps limited by plain and simple programming skillz.

Bounce Redux will be released shortly.
In game 'action' screen shot
In game 'action' screen shot
bounce-redux-2.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
Regards,

Shaun.