Will using a mono cable in a stereo line-out cause problems with LOAD?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Kahenraz

Post by Kahenraz »

Today has been my first try at saving and loading programs from tape. It has been quite an adventure!

I have been unable to load programs from a newer cassette player which I believe has a stereo line-out. I'm guessing that this problem may have to do with the player trying to output two channels onto the single mono pole of the cable and this is creating a problem with the signal.

Is this possibly the problem?

I've had the best of luck with my Centennial C-693A. My GE 3-5300A had some trouble as there was a very small range in volume that would work. And I was unable to get any program to load from my modern QFX Retro-39.

Both the GE and QFX could not be used to SAVE a program as the audio from line-in was always too quiet. It was somewhat audible from the GE and barely audible from the QFX at maximum volume. I was able to successfully SAVE and LOAD a program from the Centennial.
Kahenraz

Re: Will using a mono cable in a stereo line-out cause problems with LOAD?

Post by Kahenraz »

Upon further inspection with an audio book, the QFX is playing back cassettes slightly fast and/or is off pitch this may be the real problem.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes!

Mono 3.5mm jack plugs are incompatible with most stereo 3.5mm jack sockets, and stereo 3.5mm jack plugs are incompatible with mono 3.5mm sockets. The socket contacts do not line up with the contacts on the plugs in both cases.

The Mic is at a ‘volume’ level far below a line out level.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

Kahenraz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:47 am Today has been my first try at saving and loading programs from tape. It has been quite an adventure!

I have been unable to load programs from a newer cassette player which I believe has a stereo line-out. I'm guessing that this problem may have to do with the player trying to output two channels onto the single mono pole of the cable and this is creating a problem with the signal.

Is this possibly the problem?

I've had the best of luck with my Centennial C-693A. My GE 3-5300A had some trouble as there was a very small range in volume that would work. And I was unable to get any program to load from my modern QFX Retro-39.

Both the GE and QFX could not be used to SAVE a program as the audio from line-in was always too quiet. It was somewhat audible from the GE and barely audible from the QFX at maximum volume. I was able to successfully SAVE and LOAD a program from the Centennial.
Female plug at the computer will connect it's GND contact to the he right channel if you use a stereo plug cable. This will in practice null the signal if the player is feeding both channels for equal.. you can use stereo to mono plug adapters. Many modern devices need extra amplification.. you can use an old pc speaker with n earphone output for example...
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D