do we still use UHF modulators ?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81

Should a new ULA be able to drive the UHF modulator ?

Yes. I like a wavy image.
31%
No. Composite only is fine.
69%

Total votes: 16

Andy Rea

do we still use UHF modulators ?

Post by Andy Rea »

As some of you may know i am developing a new ULA replacement.

so should it be able to drive the UHF modlator? Or is composite video only ok.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
gammaray

Re: do we still use UHF modulators ?

Post by gammaray »

UHF/VHF across the pond. Compatibility...?

I guess I could buy extra '1000's for parts.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Andy Rea wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm As some of you may know i am developing a new ULA replacement.

so should it be able to drive the UHF modlator? Or is composite video only ok.

Regards Andy
Hi Andy

In my ULA development I dropped compatibility with the modulator. However if you think about the 100% drop-in replacement for the original ULA you should leave the ability to drive the modulator.
Claudius
----------
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

GODDAMMIT!!! I didn't fight a war just to look at wavy lines...(Sorry wrong forum)

Compo-wotsit just fine for me young sir. :D

Plus I think most of us have Karl's super composite board fitted and there can't be many old B/W CRT sets floating about that would need the modulator.

Just my tuppence worth.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Well, with some new ULA's replacement no any super composite board is needed. The ULA could drive a TV directly with the proper black level.

See this below
Attachments
zULA_prot_09.jpg
Claudius
----------
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

It was actually a tough call to vote for composite only as it does mean that broken zeddies which are not comp modded won’t be fixable with this ULA however I suspect that this will be a minority and most people given a choice would go composite!
I have bought a fairly large number of zeddies (I think around 20 having had a quick look at my eBay emails) while having a year of refurbishing and only found 1 out of them all where the UHF was actually usable even on a glass screen telly. All the rest produced from poor to impossible to read pictures.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Would Modulator compatibility raise the cost of the ULA replacement significantly? Or is it the time required for development that makes you ask?
It would be better have at least one replacement ULA that could be a repair for Zeddies with broken ULAs and drive its Modulator.
Would it be possible to offer a addon that gives modulator compatibility?
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Paul,

In my case the cost is a secondary issue, because we are talking about difference in voltage levels at the pin 16 of the ULA only. The development time could be longer but I think, both variants are feasible.
Claudius
----------
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Do I still use ZX81s using the UHF RF output, yes. But only because the LCD TV that I use makes a decent job of displaying ZX81 and ZX Spectrum UHF pictures. And, I normally only use this for testing machines that are 'new' to me. Of which have not been modified yet.

When doing anything else, I use ZX81s that output a composite video output. If the ZX81 has a Sinclair ULA, either my version of the composite video modification. Or one of PokeMons crystal clear modules (ZX8-CCB - that I can never remember the name of, sorry, have to look it up each time :oops: ).

One problem with using the UHF RF output, is the frequency of the carrier oscillator in the modulator drifts as the ZX81 (or ZX Spectrum) electronics warms it up. Meaning I have to channel hop my TV to the next channel (which is tuned to a slightly different frequency).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Has anyone got any schematic diagram or datasheet of the UM1233 modulator? I would appreciate if you could share it, please.
Claudius
----------