WANTED: Large quantity of 2x23 Card Edge Connectors

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software requested for either sale or swapping
carlforsyth

WANTED: Large quantity of 2x23 Card Edge Connectors

Post by carlforsyth »

I hope this is the right place for this post.

I'm looking to purchase about 1,000 2x23 card edge connectors for use with the ZX81.

I've seen a single post on SellMyRetro which has one seller in Germany which cuts them down from longer connectors and
I've contacted him and he's going to get back to me, but ultimately I'm looking to find a second supplier in case
he is unable to provide the quantity I need. That is nothing personal against him at all; I'd just like to mitigate the risk of
one single supplier failing to supply.

I'm based in the UK, but I am willing to purchase from anybody who is willing to ship to the UK.

I'm not expecting to find genuine NOS 23x2 connectors (Although I am suspicious as to whether these ever existed at all, and Sinclair simply modified longer connectors in the first place), but I would expect you'd need to cut down 25x2 or 30x2 connectors, de-burr the edges and fit the 'key'.
mrtinb

Re: WANTED: Large quantity of 2x23 Card Edge Connectors

Post by mrtinb »

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

If you are going to buy a large quantity like 1000 units, have you enquired with any of the large electronic suppliers?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
Paul

Post by Paul »

I buy from the producer.
They are not NOS but hey those connectors in the 80ies were awful quality. Bent and broken feathers or broke plastic everywhere, even with otherwise top products like Memotech.
These are brand new, best quality I ever saw! The twin feather contacts go around 360 degrees, a full circle so nothing can be bent to make short circuits.
FedernEdgeConnector.png
FedernEdgeConnector.png (30.15 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
No more wobble with these edge connectors.

https://m.ebay.de/itm/50pc-Industrial-C ... 1416148641

Very good quality and acceptable price. Of course they also supply in larger quantities and other length.
Just give them a try.
An excellent seller. I buy all my edge connectors from them in correct length for joyce, spectrum, QL, interface 2 etc.
They are all "closed" so for zx81 and spectrum you need to cut off the end pieces. I use a proxxon circular saw which is very fast once set for the correct length of what needs to be cut off.
Kind regards Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ah, I don't add a key but bend over the back two pins together and solder them so the feathers can't be pulled out. If you design your own pcb you can solder them to the PCB as well. Then I solder a little piece of wire across the two feathers which acts as the key.

Main reason for soldering the keys are:
I lost keys in the past which caused broken addons and destroyed ULAs.
I find it difficult to manufacture such tiny things like the keys while I can perfectly solder tiny things and cut small pieces of wire.
I don't need to pull out the two feathers (at the right place!) to make room for the key.

Of course Keys look more original ;) but I don't produce remakes of old devices but new ones :mrgreen:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.