Hello

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
eegz

Hello

Post by eegz »

Hello All,

I recently discovered some ZX-80 tapes in the back of a drawer in my parents home.

It brought back some memories of my first programming experiences and fun stuff like putting the zx-80 into the freezer to cool it off so I could get programming again (probably wasn't great for the computer but it worked!).

Found the EightyOne emulator and managed to load part of a program from a wav file created off one of the tapes.
Could someone help me figure out how to export to a text file?

First thought is to screen cap then OCR, but thinking there might be a better way. Searching the forums I saw something about .p files (still not quite sure what those are) and XuR. Downloaded it but it doesn't seem compatible with my windows setup (maybe need to run a win95 virtual machine to run the XuR emulator? :) ).

Thanks for any help!
sirmorris

Re: Hello

Post by sirmorris »

Hi!

With the program in memory open EO's virtual tape control (ctrl-f9 or Tools->Tape Manager). On the '80 type SAVE. A new file 'Code' will appear in the tape manager. Double-click it which will open the 'Edit Data Block' screen. There is a 'Save' button - click it and select the name you wish to save the file as. It will be a '.O' file, which is simply the de-facto standard format for saving ZX80 programs away from the machine. '.P' is for ZX81. It is a raw memory dump, as you would find on cassette, containing the system variables, program, display file and variables if appropriate.

HTH
C
eegz

Post by eegz »

Thanks SirMorris!

I hadn't thought to double-click the code entry.

Is there a tool for converting o files to text (to see the program listing)?
I found something called p2txt but it doesn't work with my architecture so I'm trying to get VisualStudio to compile a c file (not as easy as it used to be).

Best,

Eegz
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

P and O files are different so it's unlikely to work directly. The character sets and token values are very similar but work will be involved at some level, certainly around the system variables.

I suggest moving this topic / starting a thread in development or software as many people don't visit the welcome area.

C
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

If you load you .o file in the online emulator http://rullf2.xs4all.nl/jszeddy/jszeddy.html then you can print the file with LLIST to the printer. The listing will be as text in the printer field.

It works for ZX81, I have not tried with the ZX80 setting.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

mrtinb wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 pm ... then you can print the file with LLIST to the printer.
Sorry... there no LLIST on ZX80.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
eegz

Post by eegz »

I'll start a new topic to get this out of the Welcome Area.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2700&p=28759#p28759