Timex Sinclair 1000 ULA & Timex Sinclair 2020 tape recorder

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software requested for either sale or swapping
Pilva

Timex Sinclair 1000 ULA & Timex Sinclair 2020 tape recorder

Post by Pilva »

Hello everyone! :D I'm a newbie on this forum and this is my first post here, so if I'd do anything wrong please excuse me... :oops:

I'm a Portuguese electronics engineer, and I've got a working ZX Spectrum that filled my youth, back in the 1980s (it's not my original one, but I was given four broken Spectrums, and I managed to fix three of them, and sold the other two). I do have a TS2068, I had a TS2020 analog tape recorder and recently I bought a TS1000 from a Dutch friend, but it had a NTSC modulator - managed to "fit in" a PAL one, and it's now fully working. :D :D :D

Well, it now seems that my "modded" TS1000's own ULA (2C184E) is misbehaving (no video out and it heats like hell, the 5-Volt line is waaay low, reading 2.38V). Took it out and the 5-Volt line rose up to the normal tension. So, I'm taking this opportunity to ask here if someone has that ULA the newer 2C210E or even the 2C158E for me to buy it. I'm even asking if there's a "kind soul" that also could sell me the TS2020 analog tape recorder. Just give me your price and shipping to Portugal, then I would check if I can afford to buy it...

P.S. - Just forgot to mention, if there's anyone that even have the ZX Spectrum emulator cartridge for the TS2068, I'm really interested in buying it as well!... 8-)

Sorry for all these questions, and thank you very much for reading. ;)

-=Paulo Silva=-
1024MAK

Re: Timex Sinclair 1000 ULA & Timex Sinclair 2020 tape recor

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to the forum Paulo :D

There are very few spare original ULA chips around.
You may have to buy another ZX81/TS1000, either to use or to use as spare parts.
Unless of course you are interested in Andy's ULA replacement.
Ask here if you are interested, meanwhile you can see the details here

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Pilva

Post by Pilva »

Hi, Mark! :)

Yes, I've come across that webpage, regarding the Andy's ULA replacement. Anyway, I really would like to keep the PC mostly "original", so I'm thinking in asking here if there's anyone with a broken TS1000 / ZX81 to sell, for me to "pull" some ICs needed... 8-)

Thanks a lot for your reply! Anyway, I'm still looking for a TS2020 and a TS2068 ZX Spectrum emulator cartridge as well, so if there's anyone here on the forum who could be a "nice soul" to sell them to me, please go ahead! PM me, or say it so here on this thread. Bear in mind if you ask for $300 for a TS2020 I'll surely and politely refuse it, but give me your price!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy speccing! 8-)

-=Paulo Silva=-
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Pilva wrote:so I'm thinking in asking here if there's anyone with a broken TS1000 / ZX81 to sell, for me to "pull" some ICs needed... 8-)
That's not easy due to it's rarity.
Anyway most "repair models" of ZX81/TS1000 have a broken ULA chip, I think.
So I think someone wants to sell a complete (working) model rather than the heart of ZX81/TS1000. ;)
Last edited by PokeMon on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

You also have to beware that most ZX81s have the ULA soldered directly to the PCB - you are likely to damage the ULA by de-soldering it.
Pilva

Post by Pilva »

Greetings from Portugal!... :)

OK, OK, got the point. I know that due its rarity and function, the ZX81/TS1000/etc. ULA is seldom to be found. So there it is, I was asking for one on this forum... :D

Reformulating my question, is there anyone with a working ZX81/TS1000 willing to sell it to me? I'm not the richest man around, but I'll surely analyze each and every price any of you would ask, on all those things I asked before. Just want to create a "Sinclair room" at home, 'cause I'm very nostalgic... :oops: :oops: :oops:

On other point, I have no problem desoldering electronic components, since I have a vacuum desoldering station, an UV BGA rework machine (not needed, on this ocasion!) and an (OOOLD) solder sucker and soldering iron, just in case... (it's my daytime job and my all time hobby). There are other "tricks" for not letting an IC heat a lot when soldering/desoldering, and I'm at ease with those! :lol:

Thanks a lot for all your feedback, I really do appreciate it! :cool:

Waiting for a new response,

-=Paulo Silva=-
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Pilva wrote:since I have a vacuum desoldering station, an UV BGA rework machine (not needed, on this ocasion!)
Not the richest man. :mrgreen:
Pilva

Post by Pilva »

PokeMon wrote:
Pilva wrote:since I have a vacuum desoldering station, an UV BGA rework machine (not needed, on this ocasion!)
Not the richest man. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, I need those due to my job (I'm an electronics engineer/technician), and sometimes they are useful, when removing ULA's... :D :D :D

-=Paulo Silva=-
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Hi Paulo,

If you haven't found a donor unit already, there is a discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1180 about replacement ULA's that have become available from new old stock.

See eBay item: 261273794335

Ian
Pilva

Post by Pilva »

Well, thanks a lot, TMAOne! Great find!... 8-)

I´ll surely buy at least four, just in case! No kidding! for their price, it's a real bargain!... ;)

Anyway, I have another person in Lisbon, Portugal, who bought the whole stock of Timex Portugal years ago. I'm in the process of getting me some free time to talk to him, and know if he still have those ULAs, interfaces, the lot. He seems to even have some new TS2020 (!!!) right out of the box, but i'm a bit unsure about that.

I'll be in touch here, to post my "findings". If someone would be interested in Sinclair / Timex products from that time (TS1000, ZX81, TS2048, TS2068, ZX Spectrum, etc.) I'll could arrange his address and contact thru PM.

See you all!... ;)

Greetings from Portugal

-=Paulo Silva=-