Spectrum + Assessment ? NEW

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
RWAP

Re: Spectrum + Assessment ? NEW

Post by RWAP »

Smart wrote: i ask before my auction , when i see low price on forums i decided to open auction to proof they are not right and i successful in that after this i will never ask for price on anyforum this is not first time , i sell lot's of rare games for high price where forum users tell me much lower price , so this is last time i ask price i will sell for price i think is good
yes i will believe in yourself good thinking ;)
It is interesting really - people will often pay more on ebay than elsewhere because some of them do not even think to look outside of ebay (laziness or just that they think ebay gives them the best deals?) - take the ZXpand - I sell it for £60 on ebay or £50 on SellMyRetro - the difference is mainly to cover the ebay fees, but a quick search on google for zx81 zxpand interface, shows the sellmyretro listing - so it's easy enough to find!

The Sinclair QL is another case in point - I have maybe 50 of them here - which I test and ensure are fully working before sale - if people look on my site I sell them for £55-£65 each which is a realistic figure - however, on ebay, sellers expect at least £100 for a QL which isn't even tested - although they might not get it!

But then, I would flood the market if I listed all of mine and drive the prices down even further!
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Smart wrote: c64 will not sell under 300$ it's rare box edition it's not lucky i sell all time stuff like this for this price it's normal price, other story is that on forum's people wish to buy items under price ...
No the difference is just that people in the forums can wait for a good offer and are not in hurry to get THAT item very NOW. That's the point.
It's always possible to find people willing to pay every price if they can get the item now. But it's a bit of luck.
Sell 10 identical items in identical conditions over ebay and you will find a very wide range of final prices.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

zx81user wrote: @RWAP, really is that right? If you sell something to someone who's account was hacked, ebay will just deduct the payment from your account after a while? I never heard about that and it sounds a bit scary if you sell relatively "expensive" items.
It's not in general but Paypal do what they want and do not behave as a bank. The problem is that they promise to protect the buyer under all circumstances. So they take a bit of sh.t on the sellers and take money back. Even several weeks or maybe month after. It is just policy of Paypal. Take it or leave it. This is maybe not new to you american people and very common but in europe the clocks are going different. If Paypal take high fees (they do !) and if they want to protect buyers they sould pay these bills on their own. They only can do because the mother company eBay is supporting this payment method in all ways. If you want to sell over eBay you are more or less forced to use Paypal. I think maybe more than less. :roll:
Last edited by PokeMon on Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smart

Post by Smart »

RWAP wrote:
zx81user wrote: @RWAP, really is that right? If you sell something to someone who's account was hacked, ebay will just deduct the payment from your account after a while? I never heard about that and it sounds a bit scary if you sell relatively "expensive" items.
Michel
Yes - well, PayPal will deduct the payment - they emailed me a while ago, saying a payment was potentially fraudulent and not to send the item out until the investigation was complete, or, if I had already sent the item, to email them proof of posting that I had sent it to the PayPal verified address for the buyer.

In the meantime, the value of the goods (about £100) was placed on hold in my account.

It was only when I was struggling to find the proof of posting, that I realised it was for 18 months ago (!) - luckily I could prove that I had sent it to the PayPal verified address and so I got the money back for the item.

If you send it to a non-verified address, or an address not on PayPal - they would keep the money and refund it if they thought the payment was fraudulent, and it is then up to the seller to try and persue the person the goods were sent to !
my buyer pay today at 0:12h and around 0:15h paypal make count for this month because it's first day in month and i give money in 5 minutes i move money to my bank account and i will get money for this spectrum in 2-3 working day ,really fast :mrgreen:
Smart

Post by Smart »

RWAP wrote:
Smart wrote: i ask before my auction , when i see low price on forums i decided to open auction to proof they are not right and i successful in that after this i will never ask for price on anyforum this is not first time , i sell lot's of rare games for high price where forum users tell me much lower price , so this is last time i ask price i will sell for price i think is good
yes i will believe in yourself good thinking ;)
It is interesting really - people will often pay more on ebay than elsewhere because some of them do not even think to look outside of ebay (laziness or just that they think ebay gives them the best deals?) - take the ZXpand - I sell it for £60 on ebay or £50 on SellMyRetro - the difference is mainly to cover the ebay fees, but a quick search on google for zx81 zxpand interface, shows the sellmyretro listing - so it's easy enough to find!

The Sinclair QL is another case in point - I have maybe 50 of them here - which I test and ensure are fully working before sale - if people look on my site I sell them for £55-£65 each which is a realistic figure - however, on ebay, sellers expect at least £100 for a QL which isn't even tested - although they might not get it!

But then, I would flood the market if I listed all of mine and drive the prices down even further!
yes i agree with all you write, good thinking

but then i will always sell on ebay eaven where i can take more money problem is i must pay NOW large shipping for some items cost from Croatia to USA around 80$ and sometimes need 2 month to sell something by BUY NOW function
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Smart wrote: my buyer pay today at 0:12h and around 0:15h paypal make count for this month because it's first day in month and i give money in 5 minutes i move money to my bank account and i will get money for this spectrum in 2-3 working day ,really fast :mrgreen:
Well take the money on your bank account back doesn't help to protect against claims. They want the money back from you and you have to read terms and conditions carefully. If necessary they will give the case to a lawyer and if necessary go to the court. Believe me. :shock:

And sometimes they freeze accounts partly or full for several month during investigations. That's not bullshit, some professional sellers had that case, sometimes when reaching a "suspicious" turnover in a month or year.
zx81user

Post by zx81user »

PokeMon wrote:If Paypal take high fees (they do !) and if they want to protect buyers they sould pay these bills on their own.
Agreed, the fees are really high. I sold something not that long ago for about $2,000 that was paid through paypal, I later found a $100 ebay fee AND a $100 paypal fee or thereabouts!! That's a bit ridiculous, isn't it? I sent them an email as I thought they had charged me twice for the same transaction only to find out that the paypal fee is not related to the ebay fee. In my expectation it was that if you sold something on ebay, you would only be charged an ebay fee and the paypal payment would be free of charges so to speak. How silly I was.....

Michel
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

5% based on $2000 sale price is really much. In Germany transaction fees on eBay are based on the value / final price. I think for expensive items it is about 3% maximum. But now I took a look and it has increased significantly to 9% ! :o Okay they have a maximum of 75 EUR resp. 50 USD but it is really expencive. This is for private sellers, I think they have special conditions for business sellers. But eBay has some more fees for general offering articles regardless sold or not. Paypal has about 2% within germany and EU (currency EUR), about 4% for UK (GBP) and about 5% from worldwide countries or other currencies.

Quite high.
zx81user

Post by zx81user »

PokeMon wrote:5% based on $2000 sale price is really much. In Germany transaction fees on eBay are based on the value / final price. I think for expensive items it is about 3% maximum. But now I took a look and it has increased significantly to 9% ! :o Okay they have a maximum of 75 EUR resp. 50 USD but it is really expencive. This is for private sellers, I think they have special conditions for business sellers. But eBay has some more fees for general offering articles regardless sold or not. Paypal has about 2% within germany and EU (currency EUR), about 4% for UK (GBP) and about 5% from worldwide countries or other currencies.

Quite high.
Yes, so the total cut that ebay/paypal takes per sale is between 11 and 14%, that is huge!
Smart

Post by Smart »

zx81user wrote:
PokeMon wrote:If Paypal take high fees (they do !) and if they want to protect buyers they sould pay these bills on their own.
Agreed, the fees are really high. I sold something not that long ago for about $2,000 that was paid through paypal, I later found a $100 ebay fee AND a $100 paypal fee or thereabouts!! That's a bit ridiculous, isn't it? I sent them an email as I thought they had charged me twice for the same transaction only to find out that the paypal fee is not related to the ebay fee. In my expectation it was that if you sold something on ebay, you would only be charged an ebay fee and the paypal payment would be free of charges so to speak. How silly I was.....

Michel

agree they have too high fees , but we can't do that nothing can be only angry