Spectrum + Assessment ? NEW

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
PokeMon

Re: Spectrum + Assessment ? NEW

Post by PokeMon »

Smart wrote: i don't know why on forum's users tell smaller price then that item can sell
That's very easy. On forums people know what to buy and know worth of items. On ebay you never know. Can have good luck, can have bad luck, find some people who don't know where to buy cheaper. I would say most ebay user don't know or don't care about prices, maybe both. :shock:
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

That buyer must have REALLY wanted it to pay that amount - I can understand that buyers from outside the UK may pay more for items common in the UK as they probably simply weren't available in their countries. Same as when UK and European buyers bid for items common in the US but rare elsewhere, such as the Timex Sinclair models. You certainly got way above what it would fetch in the UK !!
Rink

Post by Rink »

Cool. :)

Maybe you'll get as lucky with your C64 auction and the same bidders will go for that too...
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Basically, you just never know - that is the luck of an auction - you can see some items sell for £10, yet the same item from another seller in a worse condition, sell for £100. It is true, that the type of people who frequent the forums, tend to know the true value of something - ie. how easy it is to obtain it, and the sort of prices you can buy things for direct from dealers (rather than bidding in an auction).

Maybe that explains why there is the difference - many people on ebay do not frequent the forums, as they are just general dealers or collectors, or someone looking to buy a present for a third party.

I am always dubious about all the bidders with zero feedback ratings and where they come from (unless you get your mates to bid up the price....) - but it looks as though the winner is at least genuine.

I just hope you don't get any come back from it - always a danger with over priced bidders who will then make a charge back claim on PayPal, or you find out 18 months later that PayPal take back the money as account was hacked - only ever send it to the PayPal verified address when it's worth that sort of money (!)

There is also the danger that they may claim it was not as described, as the description mentions floppy's - there are no floppy disk drives or floppy disks in the listing, so not sure where that came from !!

Congratulations on the final bid.
Smart

Post by Smart »

Rink wrote:Cool. :)

Maybe you'll get as lucky with your C64 auction and the same bidders will go for that too...
c64 will not sell under 300$ it's rare box edition it's not lucky i sell all time stuff like this for this price it's normal price, other story is that on forum's people wish to buy items under price ...
Last edited by Smart on Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smart

Post by Smart »

RWAP wrote:Basically, you just never know - that is the luck of an auction - you can see some items sell for £10, yet the same item from another seller in a worse condition, sell for £100. It is true, that the type of people who frequent the forums, tend to know the true value of something - ie. how easy it is to obtain it, and the sort of prices you can buy things for direct from dealers (rather than bidding in an auction).

no i think that collectors always telling you lower price because someone like them can buy it on that forum for lower price , i try to ask on 3-4 forums sega, nintendo , spectrum, commodore always get low price from users , but when they selling they wish not to drop price for 5$ :))) so after i sell lot's of stuff on ebay for MY price i decided never again ask for price of my stuff :)
RWAP wrote:
I am always dubious about all the bidders with zero feedback ratings and where they come from (unless you get your mates to bid up the price....) - but it looks as though the winner is at least genuine.
in my auction i have second bidder in line after his bid not high bid i think he try to see how much is price, so he start to bump auction i send him message on that zero account and tell him to stop that and bid from his account i think that because before his real account (second on line) not bid my auction don't have zero feedback bidder ...he stop after i send him message , but it's not important because buyer bid maximum 300$ and he wish to pay that much so bid someone or not he give his high price
RWAP wrote:
There is also the danger that they may claim it was not as described, as the description mentions floppy's - there are no floppy disk drives or floppy disks in the listing, so not sure where that came from !!

yes there is floppy's it's around 10 games in this box and they are like new with new unused original stickers

Last edited by Smart on Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zx81user

Post by zx81user »

Smart wrote:no i think that collectors always telling you lower price because someone like them can buy it on that forum for lower price , i try to ask on 3-4 forums sega, nintendo , spectrum, commodore always get low price from users , but when they selling they wish not to drop price for 5$ :))) so after i sell lot's of stuff on ebay for MY price i decided never again ask for price of my stuff :)
I don't really see the point to ask forums what your stuff is worth if you sell it at auction, if you want to sell for "buy it now" is different story. Of course asking around on forums will draw attention to your ebay auction. Anyway, you got the price you predicted so it seems like you better believe in yourself :mrgreen:

@RWAP, really is that right? If you sell something to someone who's account was hacked, ebay will just deduct the payment from your account after a while? I never heard about that and it sounds a bit scary if you sell relatively "expensive" items.

Michel
Smart

Post by Smart »

zx81user wrote:
Smart wrote:no i think that collectors always telling you lower price because someone like them can buy it on that forum for lower price , i try to ask on 3-4 forums sega, nintendo , spectrum, commodore always get low price from users , but when they selling they wish not to drop price for 5$ :))) so after i sell lot's of stuff on ebay for MY price i decided never again ask for price of my stuff :)
I don't really see the point to ask forums what your stuff is worth if you sell it at auction, if you want to sell for "buy it now" is different story. Of course asking around on forums will draw attention to your ebay auction. Anyway, you got the price you predicted so it seems like you better believe in yourself :mrgreen:

i ask before my auction , when i see low price on forums i decided to open auction to proof they are not right and i successful in that after this i will never ask for price on anyforum this is not first time , i sell lot's of rare games for high price where forum users tell me much lower price , so this is last time i ask price i will sell for price i think is good

yes i will believe in yourself good thinking ;)
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Smart wrote:
RWAP wrote: There is also the danger that they may claim it was not as described, as the description mentions floppy's - there are no floppy disk drives or floppy disks in the listing, so not sure where that came from !!

yes there is floppy's it's around 10 games in this box and they are like new with new unused original stickers
That's interesting - not quite sure what they are - they look like 5.25" floppy disks? No Spectrum software was ever released on that format (and there is no floppy disk interface included in the bundle) so either they're home made, or not for the Spectrum !
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

zx81user wrote: @RWAP, really is that right? If you sell something to someone who's account was hacked, ebay will just deduct the payment from your account after a while? I never heard about that and it sounds a bit scary if you sell relatively "expensive" items.
Michel
Yes - well, PayPal will deduct the payment - they emailed me a while ago, saying a payment was potentially fraudulent and not to send the item out until the investigation was complete, or, if I had already sent the item, to email them proof of posting that I had sent it to the PayPal verified address for the buyer.

In the meantime, the value of the goods (about £100) was placed on hold in my account.

It was only when I was struggling to find the proof of posting, that I realised it was for 18 months ago (!) - luckily I could prove that I had sent it to the PayPal verified address and so I got the money back for the item.

If you send it to a non-verified address, or an address not on PayPal - they would keep the money and refund it if they thought the payment was fraudulent, and it is then up to the seller to try and persue the person the goods were sent to !