Sinclair ZX80 Computer

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software requested for either sale or swapping
SKW41

Sinclair ZX80 Computer

Post by SKW41 »

Hi my name is Sean

in the 1960's and 1970's my father was an electronic Engineer. Well in 1979 when I turned 12 years of age my father bought me a Sinclair ZX80 computer. One of the very First ones made. I was hooked on programing and later on moved on to the Sinclair ZX81 computer.
I went to college and became an electronic engineer and computer programer. I am retired now, but would like to find a Sinclair ZX80 computer.

I would like to have it in working condition,but I know alot of the white cases have gone to a yellow color. That is ok with me as long as the computer works. I live in the USA,but my family does originate from England. In Kent England you will find Whiteacre Village, but I was told the Whiteacre and Whitaker family was all over England. Anyways that is my family..

I would love to get another Sinclair ZX80 computer. I would also like to tell Mr. Sinclair how this computer really changed my life but I have no ideal how to talk to him,or write him.

Being only 12 years old and seeing the ZX80 do things was amazing to me back in 1979 since really I had never seen a computer before that.

Well only in movies like Star Treck and Star Wars..Well there other movies too. I just had never seen a real computer till the Sinclair ZX80 in 1979.

I had a calculator made by Texas Instruments called the Data Math that came out in 1972,but that was the only thing I had that could do math computations.

Anyways I really find this amazing that there a place for Sinclair computers like this.

Thanks
Sean
:D :D :D
nama

Re: Sinclair ZX80 Computer

Post by nama »

I wish I could retire at the early age of 44.
I believe the ZX80 actually came out in 1980, hence the name.
I was 11 when I got my ZX81. I remember drooling over the pictures of ZX80's in magazines, but unfortunately my father could not afford one then. A couple of years later I convinced him to buy me a ZX81 which was considerably cheaper.

I now have a ZX80 that I bought a few years back from eBay. It was quite expensive then, so I can only imagine that they are even more expensive now. If you feel up to it, you can build your own here:

http://home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html

or even get a ZX81 and modify it to work like a ZX80...yes, I know it's not the same, that why I bought one too.

Philip
zx81jens

Re: Sinclair ZX80 Computer

Post by zx81jens »

Hi Sean!

There is a new project running by Lee Hart - ab complete new ZX80-PBC. The Prototype-Testing has begun...

Look here: viewtopic.php?t=300

Greetings
Jens (German ZX-TEAM and Prototype-Tester)
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı