*NEW* ZX81 in box with manual and accessories

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
EBeam

*NEW* ZX81 in box with manual and accessories

Post by EBeam »

I was looking for some information on what my ZX81 is worth, if anything. It was given to me by my uncle who originally purchased it in the early 1980s. He opened the box when he first received it, but he never used it. I have since looked at the contents but not in any detail to see a serial number or any other distinguishing information.

It is a ZX81 in the box with all accessories and manuals that originally came with it. Everything, including the manuals are still sealed in their original plastic wrapping. The box has a tear in it from where it was opened. The box does not look like the box in this picture (http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/images/zx81.jpg) though.

I have done some searching and reading on the Internet but I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on what it may be worth or whether I should sell it and what would be the best way to go about selling it.

Thanks
EBeam

Re: *NEW* ZX81 in box with manual and accessories

Post by EBeam »

Doing a bit more research. My ZX81 appears to be a preassembled unit, not a kit. I am basing this off the fact that there are no loose resistors, capacitors, etc. in the box. Any confirmation from an informed poster would be appreciated.

Thanks
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi,

Boxed ZX81s are going for about £35-£50 on eBay. You can use the completed listings section to check.

Regards

Charlie
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Hi and welcome.
There are a lot of things that can effect the price and that you haven't mentioned. Cosmetic condition of the computer itself, place of origin, pictures showing details, fully tested (or not), etc.

Sellers who do not at least try to find out if it's working, if there's image, if the keyboard works and if at least one software title loads have less chances of getting a good amount for it. A good text description isn't enough. There are several people out there trying to sell their retro stuff. If what you have is better than what you've seen around, you have to show that to potential buyers.

So, your description is good but there's no way to know how much it might be worth unless you provide more information. Are you in the U.K.? U.S.? That matters too. :)

eBay is the most popular place, but if you check these forums you'll see that some people post their ad here first, to try to give forum members a chance, and after a while they put it on eBay. Another place where I see occasional stuff for sale is c.s.s.:

So remember, "new" matters, but it matters a lot and has more value if the buyer knows he's investing on something that works. If you sell it as untested you can't expect it to sell for a high amount.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... vc=2&pli=1

Good luck.