CMOS Z80 CPUs For Sale

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
Slipstreem

CMOS Z80 CPUs For Sale

Post by Slipstreem »

Hi peeps,

I just thought I'd let you know that a seller on eBay (not me) has plenty of the 8MHz CMOS Z80s for sale HERE. I've put one in my Issue 1 ZX81 and it runs fine with the added advantages of...

a) dropping current consumption on a stock 1K ZX81 from 420mA to just 305mA so it runs cooler,

b) lending itself well to a clock-doubling mod as it'd still be well within its specified running speed at 6.5MHz.

They're only £4.49 delivered to UK customers, so grab one while they're going. :)
zx80nut

Re: CMOS Z80 CPUs For Sale

Post by zx80nut »

If you get stuck for Z80's, then Rapid Electronics in the UK sell CMOS 4MHz (or 6MHz, actually) ones new for £3.50
...they are advertised at 4MHz but the part number says they are 6MHz, though.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... 246/kw/z80

They charge postage unless you buy more than £30 (I think) from them. They've always been very quick delivery.

Grant.
angus

Post by angus »

Just a quick note about Rapid, we buy from them at work and their service is *excellent*.
Prime

Post by Prime »

angus wrote:Just a quick note about Rapid, we buy from them at work and their service is *excellent*.
Seconded, I have bought loads from them personally and never had a problem.

Cheers.

Phill.
zx80nut

Post by zx80nut »

It's a pity Maplin has abandoned electronics enthusiasts and gone the gadget route.

They used to be brill in the old days.
I used to buy from Maplin late 70's onwards - anyone remember the catalogue that had Concorde on it, followed next year by the space ship ? I even bought the poster of it :)

Rapid and Farnell are now my suppliers of choice.
A very large RS components distribution centre/shop is only a couple of miles away, but the pack prices are just too much.

Grant
Slipstreem

Post by Slipstreem »

zx80nut wrote:It's a pity Maplin has abandoned electronics enthusiasts and gone the gadget route.
It is sad, and it's hardly worth me popping in to my local Maplin store unless I just so happen to be passing as the cost of fuel to get there and back often exceeds the amount I spend when I get there if it's just a handful of discrete components. Their minimum order of £30 to qualify for free P&P has killed them stone dead for me as far as ordering online goes, especially after checking just now and finding out that a single 0.6W metal film resistor would cost me £3.23 delivered. :o

There are plenty of other online component suppliers out there including the likes of Spiratronics and Quasarcomponents, both on eBay, who won't rip you a new poop-chute for the privelidge of their service. :D
angus

Post by angus »

The sad truth is that there are very few electronics 'hobbyists' around any more. That's why Tandy upped and went in the late 90's and they'd already tried to cling to the ladder with cheap "hi fi" and other high profit gizmos.

The Luton Maplin is OK if you want audio cables and adaptors but no good for discrete components. Fortunately my workplace has (literally) boxes of resistors and transistors I can plunder.

I think to most people today the idea of actually opening up a device and attacking it with a soldering iron is madness. When I was a kid (80's) I certainly wasn't the only one who knew how to wield his iron.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Though to be fair I will be visiting Maplins this evening as they have the 2x18 pin sockets I need for the Zx80 I'm building....

Cheers.

Phill.
angus

Post by angus »

Prime wrote:Though to be fair I will be visiting Maplins this evening as they have the 2x18 pin sockets I need for the Zx80 I'm building....

Cheers.

Phill.
What I loved about Tandy back in the day was that once you got towards the back of the store, beyond the shiny televisions, amps, turntables and speakers (which ranged from utter crap to excellent products)....you got to racks of resistors, transistors, capacitors, 555's, books of projects to try, data books on IC's etc. The days of an actual physical shop offering such products are gone. I know a pack of 5 resistors from Tandy was expensive compared to RS, but they were on the high street and I could walk in and buy them the day I needed them.

Some Maplins are better than others, the Luton store is quite small. Others may well still offer a significant stock of basic components.