Future of the SALES section

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
mrtinb

Future of the SALES section

Post by mrtinb »

People interested in Sinclair hardware will look at eBay and SellMyRetro. So why should we have it double with spam posts in these forums? Couldn't you just delete posts and users who primary focus is sales?

Couldn't the SALES forum be deleted, and people asked to use SellMyRetro?

Moderators note: Debate moved from this thread "‪Vintage Timex Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer‬". Mark
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Paul

Re: Vintage Timex Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer

Post by Paul »

Although this sounds reasonable for new members it might disturb long time members who would like their hardware to find a good home at reasonable prices.
I will discuss possible options with my colleagues.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Lardo Boffin

Re: Vintage Timex Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Its a difficult one that - I can see the point of getting rid of sales and related stuff to avoid spam but then I have sold on a number of surplus bits on here for below market value. I would only do that for people on the forum which would be impossible on sell my retro.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Re: Future of the SALES section

Post by 1024MAK »

My personal opinion is that members should be permitted to give away or sell items to other members by advertising the items for sale in the sales section. Members should first of all attempt to sell direct to other members, that is, not via another site/system.

If after a reasonable time period, the member still has unsold items (say two to four weeks, the actual period being stated in the post by the member). Then they can then put the items on Sell My Retro, and / or eBay, or indeed any other site of their choosing. And provide links in their existing sale thread.

Where the member is a long standing member (membership of one year or more and 20 posts or more), and it is a commercial sale. That is the seller is a business, or multiple products which are all the same are for sale (such as a run of PCBs). Then said member can instead if they wish, skip the selling direct and advertise the item on Sell My Retro, and / or eBay, or indeed any other site of their choosing and provide links in a thread in the sales section. This is on the understanding that the post in the sales thread will include the same level of detail about the product as the listing elsewhere and the member will post updates and help in a thread on this forum.

If a new member posts up an advert that breaks the above 'rules', then the post will be moderated. With the link being removed and a message being added that the post has broken the rules. The moderator will send a message to the member.

If the member breaks the rules on this matter twice or more, then the moderator(s) will instead just delete the offending post. Administrators may also restrict or close the members account.

New members should be encouraged to make some posts telling us about themselves, how they got into 8 bit computing, and what they are doing with their hobby.

I come here to read what members are up to, to help members with 8 bit computer problems, or with electronic problems related to 8 bit computing. Not to read posts that are just adverts with a link to eBay listings. If I want to search eBay for something, I go to eBay...

What do other members think?

I welcome comments from other members, whether you agree with my comments, or whether you disagree.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mark, I think this is very reasonable.
I also thought about a year's membership / or a number of posts.
I also think that trying to sell here a number of weeks before posting a link to a selling site is good.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
krowne

Post by krowne »

Let me add my backing to you Paul, I also agree with what Mark wrote and could not have put it better myself we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to do otherwise, One of the reasons I keep coming back here is for the help I got from reading all the posts and buying great kit from members like Pokemon and Sir Morris at reasonable prices. Thank you one and all keep up the good work. Brian
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

I don't know if its possible or if even the moderators would have time, but could a sales board be made so that a new thread would require approval by a mod ?

that would allow the majority of us to offer item for sale to forum members before going to a wider audience on the like of sellmyretro and ebay,

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Dim_75

Post by Dim_75 »

Hello, i like this section as it is used by members who don't just only want to sell something but also keep alive our passion for the little Zx and its background. As for me, the forum made me buy some stuff (via sell my retro), with the possibility to speak to others (buyers and the seller).
May be a approval by a moderator can help ? But do the moderators have enought time for this ?
Thank you to still be there !
Kind regards, Dim
Pepper

Post by Pepper »

The Sales section is handy, even if it's just links to other sites. It gives you a place to start if you are looking for something specific.