Replacement ZX80 Cases

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RWAP

Re: Replacement ZX80 Cases

Post by RWAP »

I have also found Matcon and Lenver and sent them emails - so we shall see if anyone still has anything!
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Hee hee - now found and emailed John Pemberton, so that opens some more avenues. :D
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Slightly off-topic, but I would like to know how difficult it would be to create brand new cases for all Sinclair computers and (this will sound odd), the possibility of creating a black case for the +2, +2A and +3 motherboards but without the datacorder or disk drive. All the original stuff would go inside but it would be just the keyboard.
sascha2000

Post by sascha2000 »

Hello,

I am too seldom here in this english forum. So I did not notice this thread.... sorry ....

Ok without knowing this discussion here I did a request on a company specialiced on producing small quantities.
I returned a cost estimation based on pictures+dimension of an ZX80 case.

The result is:

One-time costs for construction and programming: 775,00€

10 pieces: 780,00€
50 pieces: 3130,00€
80 pieces: 3760,00€

Price per piece 10 pieces: 155,50€
Price per piece 50 pieces: 78,10€
Price per piece 80 pieces: 56,70€

colours: red, black or white. no printing.

Printing:

One-time costs: 215,00€

For 10 pieces: 159,20
For 50 pieces: 201,00
Forr 80 pieces: 240,00

Price per piece for 10: 37,42€
Price per piece for 50: 8,32€
Price per piece for 80: 5,69€

In my opinion the price for 50 pieces becomes interresting for me.
But I don't want to hide that in the german forum all participants found the same too costly.

what do you think?

Sascha
Kiwisek

Post by Kiwisek »

About 80 EUR sounds acceptable.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I agree that 80 euros or so sounds OK and probably worth it, but that is just the cost of getting them made - they could not be sold at that price, as someone has to fund the 775 + 3130 + 215 + 201 = 4321 euros to get these made in the first place :o
Paul

Post by Paul »

Markus from Austria has managed to create a 3D Model of the ZX80 case. Before "publishing" this we want to make a prototype print (at shapeways)
Does anybody know if there might be permission to publish this model? It would be possible to share this as a free available model at shapeways so anybody might order his own case if required.
I want to have stickers made for the printing on the ZX80. These should be sold too.
Rich, do you see a possibility to sell both as a kit (also from the legal view of course)?
Then we would know who gets a copy....
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I forgot. From the amount of material needed for printing a single item might cost just above 100€ plus postage.
There is no better price if we have more than one made (except shipping costs I guess)
There is no production cost other than material involved. Maybe a handling fee?
We no experience with shapeways up to now. Is there a cheaper way of getting 3D prints (other than buying a 3D printer)?
Does someone own a 3DPrinter or has access to one?
Kind regards Paul.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Just resurrecting this topic - Paul did you get anywhere with the 3D printing of ZX80 Cases?

I think that with the new interest (thanks to the ZX80Core and Grant Searle's version) there would be a market for replacement cases - even to replace the old cracked / broken ones on original ZX80s.

This would make a neat project for 2014 - wonder whether it would be worth doing as a Kickstarter project or similar, a ZX80Core in a case?

So long as they were clearly marketed (and the case marked) as replicas, I doubt this would cause an issue - although it would be worth a quick email to Sinclair in case!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry, I am still waiting for Data and material.