ZX80 US Power Supply Specs?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
AndreSan

Re: ZX80 US Power Supply Specs?

Post by AndreSan »

Thanks. It is a Sinclair Ram pack. Turns out it is not so easy to find an unregulated supply. But if simply adjusting the voltage makes it possible to work with and without the ram pack, then I like the regulated variable voltage PSU again.

Neither is it easy to find a 3.5mm mini phone plug to 2.5mm female barrel adapter. Only at Digikey and for $11 with S&H. I'll make it from a phone plug I have laying around and one of the adapter ends that ships with the PSU.

Ok - got this sorted.

Thank you!
Paul

Post by Paul »

As the 16k rampack is worth nothing compared to the ZX80 I'd use a regulated PSU and sell the ZX80 without the rampack.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
AndreSan

Post by AndreSan »

Thanks. I was surprised that the ram packs held such little value. I bet they were pretty dear in the day. I'm eager to see if the adjustable voltage supply will make for the best of both worlds.

Andre
Paul

Post by Paul »

Most users had one, and remember the wobble problems they introduced.
The contacts of their connectors are sh....
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
AndreSan

Post by AndreSan »

Got it. My brother warned me that the connection was sh... So all of a sudden you lose everything.

I'd have thought there'd be an aftermarket male to female ribbon cable to make better contact and isolate the rampack.

This is kind of fun for me to explore, even though I have no interest in owning and using the Sinclair. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Andre
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

There were ribbon cables for the later ZX Spectrum, but they were stiff so did not really help...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I remember a few magazine ads of the time offering ribbon cables for the ZX81 also.

Rich Mellor of Sell my retro also sold a ribbon cable to use with the ZX80 zxpand combo.