Yamaha YM1249 / YM2149 ??

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
prolog

Yamaha YM1249 / YM2149 ??

Post by prolog »

Just me again full of questions and no answers,

The sound generator on the RWAP website (if that is the source of the sound on the video on the zx81 page) is listed as the Yamaha YM1249. It certainly sounds authentic to what I recall from days of yore.

But, I found this site listing obscure 80s sound chips and it refers to a YM2149 as opposed to 1249 -

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~rga24/computer/music/

Has there been a keying error or are we talking about different chips?

cheers
Jeff
Andy Rea

Re: Yamaha YM1249 / YM2149 ??

Post by Andy Rea »

I think it's a typo, the YM2149 is the chip used on the ZXpand AY-module.

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
prolog

Post by prolog »

thanks once again Andy. The AY sound module is on my shopping list. I think I picked up somewhere on here it could be used with midi - but I'll park that for another day. I have a yamaha midi board and an old 80s Casio synth - would be nice to use the AY sound module in tandem with some other sound generators.
cheers
Jeff
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Jeff,

If you have a zx81 midi interface then I'm sure that something could be wired up, but there's no built-in midi support on the ay board, sorry :(

C
prolog

Post by prolog »

sirmorris wrote:Hi Jeff,

If you have a zx81 midi interface then I'm sure that something could be wired up, but there's no built-in midi support on the ay board, sorry :(

C
Not to worry, I just like the sound of the AY - I'm sure I'll find another way to get it to trigger (audio output jack from the tv to an anlog/digital i/o mixer for example?? Should work..hmmm) I'll have fun trying anyway! :D

cheers
Jeff
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

There are 16 general purpose I/O pins broken out from the AY chip plus 5 lines which serve as the joystick so there's no shortage of IO on the zxpand to use to read triggers..!

There are plenty of people here, myself included, who would be only too eager to help out with little projects like this :geek:

In fact, oh no here it comes, I just caught myself thinking of adding another AY via the IO and a couple of flying leads... :idea:
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

sirmorris wrote:There are 16 general purpose I/O pins broken out from the AY chip plus 5 lines which serve as the joystick so there's no shortage of IO on the zxpand to use to read triggers..!

There are plenty of people here, myself included, who would be only too eager to help out with little projects like this :geek:

In fact, oh no here it comes, I just caught myself thinking of adding another AY via the IO and a couple of flying leads... :idea:
and another...

and another...

and another...

might be a bit tricky keeping track of all those layers..
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...