DC jack and ZX Hygiene

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
prolog

DC jack and ZX Hygiene

Post by prolog »

Well good people I now have a 2nd ZX81 from the Ebay. The box it came in is probably the box it has been stored in for 30 years. It smells like the whole thing has been sat in an oil sump of some derelict garage. I would have thought the seller might have cleaned it up a bit before posting. There were tapes in the box too, well-greased and warped from use as thermal insulators. Spiders in the box looked cheesed off at having been disturbed.

1. I wasn't expecting it to work, but it did. However, I can't have it in the house until it has been taken apart and cleaned up. I have litres of isopropyl alcohol. Am I right in thinking I can clean the motherboard etc. with isop alc?? Any ideas for cleaning the case?? Mild green fairy liquid? Carbon tet??

2. Although it worked, and surprisingly all keys on the membrane, the DC jack is quite a bit loose. A gentle tap and it powers off. I haven't opened it yet, but any ready solutions to stabilizing the DC input?

Cheers

Jeff
Andy Rea

Re: DC jack and ZX Hygiene

Post by Andy Rea »

isopropranol (alcohol) should be fine for cleaning the PCB, i should think some mild detergent will be fine on the plastics.

Be careful with the keyboard tails they go brittle with age.

if the power socket is wobbly perhaps it just needs resoldering, otherwise you could replace it.

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
prolog

Post by prolog »

Ah brilliant Andy thanks - and a dc jack socket replacement is easy to find?
cheers Jeff
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

farnell still do them, ou have to cut one of the pins off, but other than that they are like the original, trouble is farnell have a minimum spend £20 :?

I've robbed them off broken spectrums in the past.

Andy

Opps forgot the farnell link ! http://uk.farnell.com/cliff-electronic- ... dp/8044961
Last edited by Andy Rea on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
prolog

Post by prolog »

Great idea - grave robbing a spectrum! cheers Jeff
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Rich had a small supply of the jacks. I don't know if he has any left but if not we could arrange something as I have special privileges at Farnell - must be the amount I spend there :shock:
prolog

Post by prolog »

sirmorris wrote:Rich had a small supply of the jacks. I don't know if he has any left but if not we could arrange something as I have special privileges at Farnell - must be the amount I spend there :shock:
ah! cool! I'd certainly buy into your privileges! I'll check with Rich and see if he has any - otherwise I'll be back!
cheers
Jeff
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

Warning: Do not use any solvent based cleaner or even contact cleaner on the membrane tails, or you will probably regret it -- guess how I found out ! :-( One cracked & knackered membrane! The new production membranes may be OK, though!
prolog

Post by prolog »

gozzo wrote:Warning: Do not use any solvent based cleaner or even contact cleaner on the membrane tails, or you will probably regret it -- guess how I found out ! :-( One cracked & knackered membrane! The new production membranes may be OK, though!
AH!! Thanks for telling me! so disconnect membrane first (and maybe have a spare to hand) -timely advice thanks!
Jeff
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Yes I have some DC sockets here if anyone needs them :)