Paul wrote:It's in two parts because I am fond of "natural keyboards"
That's just PERVERSE!

LOL
Moggy

Re: Keyboard kits

Post by Moggy »

Prime wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Prime wrote: It't basically an issue 1 motherboard with a DIY 32K addon, built into an old DELL keyboard.
unless it's a ts1000 then Issue 3 board surely?
Actually yes you are quite correct that is an issue 3 :)

Cheers.

Phill.

Sorry Phill I wasn't trying to be clever but because I'm the thickest person on the forum It feels good to contribute occasionally . :lol:

Regards
Moggy
prolog

Post by prolog »

Those keyboards look really useful! Though I love the zx81 I could never get on with the membrane - those keyboard mods look the way to go: though if it's a wiring every key type job it'll have to be for one of my longer holidays!

And move aside Moggy - here comes a thicker forum poster!

cheers
Jeff
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

prolog wrote:Those keyboards look really useful! Though I love the zx81 I could never get on with the membrane - those keyboard mods look the way to go: though if it's a wiring every key type job it'll have to be for one of my longer holidays!

And move aside Moggy - here comes a thicker forum poster!

cheers
Jeff
At last a Friend :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Moggy (Thicky)
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

I'm currently using a ZX Spectrum dk'tronics keyboard. Schematics show that ZX81 and ZX Spectrum keyboard matrix is the same. Unfortunately the molex connectors are wired a bit different, so just plugging it in mixes up the keys. Unsoldered the connectors on the board, made a simple wiring adapter & voila - the symbols on the keyboard aren't much of an issue really.

Biggest problem I have is that whatever keyboard switch technology you have in mind, it's either very expensive (for example DIY-job using mini reed switches + mini magnet in each key), or it's near impossible to find a keyboard where you know (before buying!) that it has suitable switches in it. And a lot of work to put it together. And in most cases, looks like crap. :lol:

Therefore I'm tending towards the 'conversion circuit to use PS/2 or USB keyboard' option. Also because it makes replacement easy in case the keyboard gets fubarred somehow. But it would be nice to have a dedicated, good looking ZX81 case that includes quality keyboard. Ah well, one can dream, right? :mrgreen:
prolog

Post by prolog »

RetroTechie wrote: And a lot of work to put it together. And in most cases, looks like crap. :lol:

Therefore I'm tending towards the 'conversion circuit to use PS/2 or USB keyboard' option. Also because it makes replacement easy in case the keyboard gets fubarred somehow. But it would be nice to have a dedicated, good looking ZX81 case that includes quality keyboard. Ah well, one can dream, right? :mrgreen:
Yes, YES YES...BIG YES!! a dedicated case or keyboard would be brill.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

So who has access to a laser cutter?
Prime

Post by Prime »

sirmorris wrote:So who has access to a laser cutter?
Or a friendly Dalek ?

Cheers.

Phill.
prolog

Post by prolog »

Prime wrote:
sirmorris wrote:So who has access to a laser cutter?
Or a friendly Dalek ?

Cheers.

Phill.
Never met a friendly Dalek - bought a radio control one for my nephew - took us nearly an hour to free him from the box he had been triple-wire-tied to, and not an ounce of gratitude when we switched him on - just the usual bigging oneself up type phrases
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

They're like that. Bastards.