Keyboard kits

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
prolog

Keyboard kits

Post by prolog »

hi all

I'd really like to get some more keyboards. I'd like it most if I could get hold of something like I already have - possibly in kit form. The one in the picture is one I put together from a kit in the 80s. There is an enclosure for it too (next to telly on right), I took the board out to test the connectors. Is it possible to assemble the components or even get hold of something like this?

Grateful for any ideas

cheers

Prolog
Attachments
zx81aq.jpg
well.. you get the idea
(197.57 KiB) Downloaded 1982 times
1024MAK

Re: Keyboard kits

Post by 1024MAK »

The keyboard in your picture looks like the Maplin kit.

I think it very unlikely that you will find any new replacement ZX81 "proper key" keyboards or "proper key" keyboard kits. If you are really lucky you may find a used one on eBay.
New "typewriter" style "proper key" keyboard switches themselves are rare... (I did a quick search of the main electronic suppliers in the UK and found none!)

So that leaves the following options:
  • Use the ZX81 membrane keyboard (replacements are available)
  • Modify a keyboard from another 8 bit computer (you will need to cut the PCB tracks and rewire it so that the switch connections match the ZX81 keyboard matrix)
  • Modify an old PC keyboard (the type that uses keys soldered to a PCB, you will need to cut the PCB tracks and rewire it so that the switch connections match the ZX81 keyboard matrix)
  • Desolder the keyboard switches from another 8 bit computer or an old PC keyboard, make your own PCB and build your own keyboard
  • Use a standard PC keyboard with a circuit that plugs into the ZX81 and converts the PC keyboard signals to a form that the ZX81 understands
If you are going to use an old keyboard, best to test that the key switches do indeed work, as over time (even if in its previous life it did not break or wear out) the contacts degrade.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cherry still produces single switch per key keyboards. Old G80 were fine for desoldering the keys (old Apple keyboards were produced by cherry)
New one's like MX-Gold should be ok, I'm not 100% shure with this, you may be able to ask the dealer.
My old Apple keyboards had a mechanical locking capslock key, that's super for ZX81 ;)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I modified an Acorn BBC keyboard and built an external interface for it. It was Wilf's design IIRC. It works really nicely. The PCB is single-sided which makes the modification easy. A few swipes with a dremell did the job ;) Double-sided boards would require that switches are removed before cutting traces but it's not impossible.

C
Prime

Post by Prime »

When I get home I'll post a picture of the ZX81 board I built into an old DELL PC keyboard, which had individual switches, needed hacksaw, dremmel and kynar wire but works great.

Cheers.

Phill.
prolog

Post by prolog »

Cheers everyone that's really useful - at least there's a number of options even if it's not just a trip to Maplins! (Thanks Marsk and SirMorris) - I look forward to seeing Phil's pictures sounds intriguing,

all the best
Jeff
Prime

Post by Prime »

OK here's the ZX81 in PC keyboard.
ZX81 in PC keyboard
ZX81 in PC keyboard
PC-ZX81.JPG (205.28 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
It't basically an issue 1 motherboard with a DIY 32K addon, built into an old DELL keyboard.
Internal view of ZX-PC
Internal view of ZX-PC
P4020010-cropped-smaller.JPG (165.84 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
And that's an internal view taken before I had finished assembling.

Cheers.

Phill.
Paul

Post by Paul »

This is a picture of my converted apple keyboard attached to my ZX2000 (under the wood plate, currently not plugged in), an FPGA based ZX81 made by ZX-Team (Kai and B0D0) ;)
zx2000Key.JPG
zx2000Key.JPG (38.35 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
I desoldered every key and put them back on the metal piece.
It's in two parts because I am fond of "natural keyboards"
Are there any more seperated keyboards for ZX81 out there?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Prime wrote:OK here's the ZX81 in PC keyboard.
PC-ZX81.JPG
It't basically an issue 1 motherboard with a DIY 32K addon, built into an old DELL keyboard.
P4020010-cropped-smaller.JPG
And that's an internal view taken before I had finished assembling.

Cheers.

Phill.
unless it's a ts1000 then Issue 3 board surely?

Regards
Moggy
Prime

Post by Prime »

Moggy wrote:
Prime wrote: It't basically an issue 1 motherboard with a DIY 32K addon, built into an old DELL keyboard.
unless it's a ts1000 then Issue 3 board surely?
Actually yes you are quite correct that is an issue 3 :)

Cheers.

Phill.