Souped up Zeddies

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Andy Rea

Souped up Zeddies

Post by Andy Rea »

Moggy wrote: thanks to My Meemotuck 5000 keyboard and 4 million terebleem input buffer it's a damm site easier than My PC!!! :lol:
doesn't have the terableem buffer but it's actually quite nice to use :D
mostly all held in place with liberal use of hot melt :?

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
nama

Re: Souped up Zeddies

Post by nama »

Here is my hacked zeddy, and soon to be for sale ;-)

Actually, it's even more hacked now than it is in the photo as it has a switchable multi ROM.

Moggy

Post by Moggy »

siggi wrote:
Moggy wrote: TIRE OF WORKING ON MY 81 :!: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :o
Ooops, another kind of saying "Jehovah"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI

:mrgreen:

Siggi

@Siggi
Great minds think alike :lol:

@Andy

Your work room just has to have a sign on the door saying...
"MADMAN AT WORK KEEP OUT"

Love the glue I take it You ran out of nails then? :lol: :lol:

Regards
Moggy
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

@nama thats a seriously cool Zeedy, care to tell us what each of those extensions do ?

@moggy, Nails didn;t work out too well little bit to slender and the board kept comming loose, so i tried screws instead but they started to short everything out, so i need a quick, simple, non conductive, solution.... :mrgreen:

yeah i prefer ' Hacking in progress, enter at your own risk '

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
nama

Post by nama »

Andy Rea wrote:@nama thats a seriously cool Zeedy, care to tell us what each of those extensions do ?
In order from left to right:
1a) Jarek Adamski's zx1541 CBM 1541 drive interface
1b) Above the ZX1541 is the composite video board
2) Maplin Talkback Voice generator
3) Maplin I/O
5) Zebra Joystick adaptor
6) Just a spare board and does nothing

And not shown in this photo is a ROM adaptor using a ZIF socket with a rotary dial for bank switching which presently includes the following 4 ROM images (but has room for 8 Images):

Tree Forth (Tree4th)
ASZMICE07
Shoulders of Giants (sg81)
ZX81_Improved

Phil
siggi

Post by siggi »

Here are some very special Zeddies of German ZX-Team members :D

http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 2015#p1468

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Some nice pictures there, which are always cool to see. But one thing I haven't seen is a "souped-up" ZX81 that still looks like a ZX81. :p If It would look a lot more professional if the ZX81 had that rubber keyboard cover (forgot the name) that made it easier to type, and all the upgrades, boards, extensions were inside a black plastic box, connected to the ZX81 through a ribbon, and the box had all the necessary holes in the right places for all the necessary buttons, slots, etc. Cooling would also be possible. Transportation would be easier, and dust would stay away. Black monitor, black ZX81 add-on box (just came up with the name), black ZX81. That's how I would do it if I could. I'm pretty sure the boards/interfaces/add-ons could also be connected to each other via ribbon cable and be organized inside the box, rather than one directly connected to the other.
zx80nut

Post by zx80nut »

I seem to recall (long time ago, now!) some kind of suitcase thing where you could place the ZX81, RAM, Printer etc. in there, in compartments to keep it all together for transporting. Looked quite good at the time... :)
I think it can all remain connected in the case.

...I'll see if I can find the ad for it in an old mag.

Grant
siggi

Post by siggi »

BrunoFlorindo wrote:Some nice pictures there, which are always cool to see. But one thing I haven't seen is a "souped-up" ZX81 that still looks like a ZX81. :p If It would look a lot more professional if the ZX81 had that rubber keyboard cover (forgot the name) that made it easier to type, and all the upgrades, boards, extensions were inside a black plastic box, connected to the ZX81 through a ribbon, and the box had all the necessary holes in the right places for all the necessary buttons, slots, etc. .
Perhaps like my Laptop: with 64K ram and 32 K Eeprom , MMC card interface and USB port inside?
Laptop.JPG
Laptop.JPG (212.69 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
Laptop-2.JPG
Laptop-2.JPG (102.85 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM