New build keyboard cables

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
daveyj67

New build keyboard cables

Post by daveyj67 »

Hi all

I've built myself a mechanical keyboard using a ZX81+38 PCB which I've been using with various ZX81 and Spectrum emulators via an Arduino Leonardo, which is great. I'd like to solder a set of the 5 way and 8 way membrane keyboard connectors onto the mechanical keyboard PCB and then use some kind of flat ribbon cable to join my keyboard directly to a ZX81 motherboard's connectors.

The problem is, I'm nut sure whether such cables are available or where to get them and I couldn't find any on the usual retro sites with Sinclair parts. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in the search.

Cheers

Dave
msknight

Re: New build keyboard cables

Post by msknight »

I don't think there's one easily available. However, Ginger Electronics does some very nice insertion boards which he did sell to me separately, and I used whatever wire I preferred. You might want to consider putting a small tab on the top of the small boards to make them easier to pull out if, like me, you're using a keyboard between multiple machines to work on, as they are designed to be installed, inserted and left alone.
daveyj67

Re: New build keyboard cables

Post by daveyj67 »

Thanks for your suggestions msknight.

I've been reading up on this and it looks like some kind of ffc or fpc flat cable with a 2.4mm pitch should work with the Molex connectors but I haven't had any luck tracking them down - they all seem to be 0.5 or 1mm. I'm thinking a Plan B might be in order :lol:

Dave