Any other source of ZXpand+ ?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
dr beep

Re: Any other source of ZXpand+ ?

Post by dr beep »

Do you want a ZXPAND or any modern storage device?
ZX Wespi?
msknight

Post by msknight »

I have a Wespi, but not all games are loading from it, so some have to be loaded from tape, but then you've got the problem of knocking it out of circuit... so hence the ZXpand+ solution.

The one on ebay already has two people bidding against each other, and they have gone for silly money in the past, so Rich is likely to get some up for sale before that ebay listing is complete.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Well the main problem with the ZX-Wespi is that you always have to load a menu, and select your program from the menu. That does not work with programs, that loads another file. That is because loading any file will load the menu.

However there exist a version of the firmware on the German forum, that is an extension to the Video version of the firmware. This version detects the filename in the last line on the screen, and loads that instead of the menu.

E.g. last line contains:

Code: Select all

LOAD "PART2"
Remember the ZX-Wespi Video version receives the composite signal, so it can be converted to LCD or VGA. The code always remembers the video of the last line and decodes it into letters. If the letters start with [LOAD "] the filename is extracted and used. Then no menu is displayed, as the correct file is loaded.

This will work when you load from the command line. However if you LOAD from a Basic line, then the filename is not shown on the last line, and it will not work. The workaround is to make your Basic program print [LOAD "filename"] on the last line before loading.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

msknight wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm I have a Wespi, but not all games are loading from it, so some have to be loaded from tape, but then you've got the problem of knocking it out of circuit... so hence the ZXpand+ solution.

The one on ebay already has two people bidding against each other, and they have gone for silly money in the past, so Rich is likely to get some up for sale before that ebay listing is complete.
One of my games had a problem loading too.
I altered the code a bit but I was thinking of a different method that can load the data and then copies data to right place. This is not a solution for loading in a program like mrtin mentions but what current program does not load?
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

There are 10 x ZXPand+ units sat at Parcelforce waiting to be delivered to me - hopefully tomorrow, as they telephoned me today to confirm my address (for some reason they did not have my full address).
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

The ZXpand+ units will be with me now on Tuesday (6th February 2024) - you can order them via

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... y%29-63971

Rich
msknight

Post by msknight »

Didn't need to tell me twice :-) Order placed
msknight

Post by msknight »

That ZXpand+ on ebay went for £109.39 plus £7.50 economy postage.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Given how great these boards are an how uncommon, its still cheap IMO. I think I have 3 lol.
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+,Printer
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes