Tool advice

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

Tool advice

Post by msknight »

I need advice on a tool to use when de-soldering pins.

Long story short... I have thin nose pliers, but being metal they sink some of the heat when I apply an iron to the solder, so it means I'm using more heat than necessary to pull pins out.

I tried nylon tipped tweezers but I can't get enough of a grip.

I tried nylon tipped jewellers pliers, but the ends are smooth so I can't get a grip on something in order to pull it.

Right now, the only thing I'm successfully pulling, is my hair.
sP1d3r

Re: Tool advice

Post by sP1d3r »

Non-magnetic tweezers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225459263716 ... R6TS5uSaYw

They're aluminium, not stainless AFAIK.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The trick on desoldering is to apply fresh tin before desoldering. Normal metal pliers are what we use because plastic will melt.
I have pliers that are like needles at the tip. The smaller the tip the less heat is transferred.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
msknight

Post by msknight »

sP1d3r wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:10 pm Non-magnetic tweezers:
I have some of those. It's just with larger things, they don't grip well enough.
msknight

Post by msknight »

Paul wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:04 pm The trick on desoldering is to apply fresh tin before desoldering. Normal metal pliers are what we use because plastic will melt.
I have pliers that are like needles at the tip. The smaller the tip the less heat is transferred.
I'll see if I can get more needle nosed than the ones I've already got. See if that does the trick.