5v feed

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

5v feed

Post by msknight »

In all the pictures I'm seeing of power draw, people seem to be attaching to everywhere other than the power regulator. I was wondering why please.

I'm faced with powering the PiZero (220mA) and also the Wespi (I think about 200-300) and I was wondering where, on the board, I should put them.

The obvious solution for me, as I'm putting in a new case, is on the top of the board rather than beneath, and the obvious place to someone like me, is to attach to the power regulator pins. Or possibly the traces on the edge connector.

Grateful for any learning that people can offer please.
msknight

Re: 5v feed

Post by msknight »

For reference, this is how far I've got. I've also checked the studs and they aren't conductive. The Wespi will go underneath the keyboard and I've got to wait for Retrolium.co.uk to open again so I can get replacement power regulators ... and don't ask me what the case is, because it's a nightmare. Wish I'd gone for something a little larger.
IMG_7750.jpg
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

msknight wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:48 am In all the pictures I'm seeing of power draw, people seem to be attaching to everywhere other than the power regulator. I was wondering why please.
A question that has been at the back of my mind for a while. I’ve always assumed it didn’t really matter and people went for convenience?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Best place to pick up a +5V supply on a ZX81 or TS1000
Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

:Thumbs up:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Best place is really close to 5he regulator and Marks place is really the best.
The Pi Zero is fine with the 5V coming from the regulator as is has sufficient filters.
The Wespi circuit shows an electrolyte capacitor and please don't skip that. It's really necessary.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

I'd have thought that the overuling consideration with the power supply would be whether the mains transformer can supply sufficient power to the regulator.
I don't know what the capability of Sinclair mains transformers is.
The power supply I use for my ZX81 can supply max 1500mA, it's a type that are commonly available and it comes with various plugs.
Last edited by sP1d3r on Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Discussed before in these two topics here and here.

Assuming a DC/DC converter or switching regulator is used that has an efficiency rating of at least 85%:

With a Sinclair UK700 9V PSU (rated at 700mA, 0.7A), then a maximum of 1A at 5V is available from the DC/DC converter or switching regulator.

With a Sinclair UK1200 9V PSU (rated at 1200mA, 1.2A), then a maximum of 1.8A at 5V is available from the DC/DC converter or switching regulator.

With a Sinclair UK1400 9V PSU (normally used with a ZX Spectrum, rated at 1400mA, 1.4A), then a maximum of 2.1A at 5V is available from the DC/DC converter or switching regulator.

Please note, all 5V current values have been rounded down. It's not recommended to run the PSUs continuously at their maximum power / current ratings.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.