Build hardware for a price?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
BrunoFlorindo

Build hardware for a price?

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Is there among us (or maybe among the ZX81 German group) who would be willing to build interfaces, cables or adapters for a price? I ask this because:

1-There are many interesting, exciting ideas for the ZX81 and compatibles
2-The instructions, schematics, diagrams for such ideas are usually available
3-Many ZX81 users don't know how to use a soldering iron or build these things
4-Those users are usually willing to buy items or pay for services, if they were available (me included).

Cheers
Littlejohn

Re: Build hardware for a price?

Post by Littlejohn »

Hello Bruno,
Let me introduce myself first, I am James Littlejohn, and I own and operate 8bitsystem.com. Over the last year I have been making adapters and add on boards for the Apple II line of computers, but my first computer was a Timex 1000.
I would love to make a few projects for the zx81/ts1000, but one must realize the cost in doing a run of under 10 boards. First you have set up fees: Fees charged just to set up the PCB manufacturing machine to do a project. Then you have Board size fees: They charge you by the square inch. Then you have shipping: Just to get the boards to where you are going to put the components on at, then shipping to individual customers. All this can be quite daunting, but I a have shopped around and found the cheapest place with the best quality for my projects.
Just for an example: A board 2" x 4" can run up to $25, and that is before you buy components for it.
So, if we can all decide on what project we would like to do first, and get at least 5 people on board, I will take on a little project like this.
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

One more cost I would add.
Transfering money abroad. Most annoying thing I ever encounter.
Depending of country they're different but they still and stubbornly *are*.
That's why I'm still having a trouble with getting GeneralSound card for Spectrum. Argh.
This is the only reason You can't count me in for 100%.
But I will follow this thread and we will see.
I whish You as much of luck as You only need, with the project :)
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

The other thing to consider is financing the production run.

However, as a long time trader, I am interested in funding new hardware projects for the Spectrum, ZX80, ZX81, Z88 or QL. Certainly an AY interface which will work with the ZX81, Spectrum and Spectrum 128K sounds ideal as it has the widest market.

I also have a contact in the UK who can design hardware and build it, so obviously we could compare prices for manufacture between the different developers (and countries).

We need to ideally get a list of projects and judge the interest in them.
I can then market the idea and deal with payments.
Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

Hey LittleJohn.....

Depending on what project/s are chosen.. I am Very interested.... I would like to see a IDE interface.. I have one for my C64 and it also uses a CF card in place of a IDE drive... I also have A CFFA card for my Apple II/GS... or maybe a Good Printer interface.. RS232...a plugin internal memory upgrade... a good I/O interface... maybe a keyboard interface using a PC keyboard....

Just a few ideas.....

>>>>>Mike
Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

How about making an expansion board first? Then everyone can add the projects that they want to it.
I was thinking along the lines of the Maplin expansion board with 5 sockets on top and a feed through.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I would use a 50-way female connectors on the baseplate - like the ones used on SCSI drives. They're common and cheap. You can prototype on vero and use 90 degree plugs on your cards. Video could be output on the extra pins...

My dream interface would be: 32k total ram, eeprom or ram switchable in 8-16k region, 8255 and keyboard buffer.

The 8255 would support IDE, SD/MMC.
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Ok, here's my list of items that I would love to see recreated/built and/or cloned:

MMC or SD interface with a simple way of loading files, preferably FAT32 direct access, not through layers nor snapshot launchers.

AY Interface

ZON X-81

Joystick interface

Alternate keyboard including enclosure to place ZX81 inside. Room for internal interfaces while leaving the original backplane free.

Keyboard to place on top of the ZX81 keys, for those who want to keep the original keyboard but want to have something to make it more easy to type-on. Any ideas Rich?

And if these could be (optionally) combined into just one, nice ZX81 expansion system, that would be even better.

Bus extender (I already have this, but it might be useful for a lot of people)

One more thing: There are a lot of ZX81 users out there who have no idea of the existence of this forum and what could be accomplished here. Please help us share the url with others.
Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

I've got a nice expansion plane project drawn up in CAD, But with other obligations (Kfest - Apple II), it will be about the middle of August before I have anything to show the Group.
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Wow, I completely missed the expansion board pic. Yes, this would be a great first step!!

On a side note, I wanted to let you know that I found what that a/d interface was for. To use a Koala Pad, the one that was popular among Apple II users. :)