Expansion connector ZX80

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Creator

Expansion connector ZX80

Post by Creator »

Is there a known source for a connector that fits. I'll entertain most anything that plugs in and allows me to connect a circuit board / cable / whatever. Just spent an hour or so looking and found nothing in stock
Paul

Re: Expansion connector ZX80

Post by Paul »

Nothing that fits without work.
In this case you need to cut off the closed ends on both sides in order to be able to push it onto the PCB.
The Quality is excellent, far better than anything available in the 80s or 90s.
No wobble problems anymore.
Search eBay for article number 133782296138
Or seller "wonderco_buy (83346) 99,7% positive Bewertungen"
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133782296138

They sell many lengths and many different quantities, just search their shop.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Creator

Post by Creator »

OK maybe, thank you. Shipping from Germany will be painful
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Similar card edge-connectors are available from elsewhere as well. The important points are that there are equal or more number of ways for your use (ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum etc.), that it is a double sided connector, and that the pitch (spacing between the centre of each contact to the centre of the next contact) is 0.1 inches (2.54mm approximately).

These card edge-connectors were (and still are in some equipment) commonly used in industrial rack mount systems, and were used for ISA expansions in IBM and compatible computers.

So try looking for a supplier in your own country.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Yea I know they are out there but between the frustrations of modern day search results and the gouging of shipping even short distances my patience wears thin. Still looking, thanks for the leads.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My example wasn't a search result but an experienced source which is reliable and has served well many times.
These days it doesn't matter to me if sourcing is cheap or fast.
Nowadays it's important to pick a source that really sells you good products and will not send you garbage.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Paul

Sure ! That's exactly what I asked for. After coming up thin on searches I knew people here could provide a focused answer and that's what you gave. Yours may prove to be the best solution.

Al
Creator

Post by Creator »

FWIW a couple of candidates from digi-key H122585-ND 151-392-050-558-201-ND
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for sharing this and a
WARNING to anybody interested:
These are the shit they sold us in the eighties that is causing wobble issues.
Explanation:
The so called feathers are only simple single line pieces of metal. They are split to give the impression there are two pieces that can independently bend to ensure contact if one of them looses contacts.
The Taiwanese source I posted has a piece of metal that goes round two times to form a spring where both parts can build up pressure independently.
They are only connected in the bottom part of the connector, not in the top part.
Please make sure to look into the datasheets and watch the shape of the feather contacts.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The above digikey connectors are fine only if you ensure there is no possible wobble e.g. like in a PC where the card is fixed by a screw and no movement can happen between Mainbord and expansion board.
If you screw both ZX80/ZX81 and expansion to a common ground than no wobble can happen the connection will be trouble free.
That's what these connectors are designed for.
It's just not what normally happens with our zeddys.