Composite or VGA output through edge connector

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
spawnerbr

Composite or VGA output through edge connector

Post by spawnerbr »

Hi all. There is a simple way to take from the edge connector a composite or VGA output from ZX81? Maybe a simple interface, not like Chroma 81. Is just because I have some ZX81 clones that the video output from RF is horrible and the only way is have very old TVs to use them, so I'm looking for a easy to have video output not opening the computers. There is something like that? Thanks
mrtinb

Re: Composite or VGA output through edge connector

Post by mrtinb »

The only way for video output on edge connector is the Chroma interface. It is quite complex to create a picture from the edge connector, as there is no video output there. The Chroma interface is complex, because it remembers all the events on the address and data bus, and builds a picture from all information and recreates, what it believes is on the tv.

If you want VGA output I only know of the ZX-Wespi-V. This is not a ready made interface, but a recipe how to connect it inside your ZX81. 2 wires need to be soldered to your ZX81's PCB, and the power/ground can be taken from the power jack. You need to upload the firmware to an ESP32 board as well.

https://github.com/holmatic/zx-iot-video
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
spawnerbr

Post by spawnerbr »

mrtinb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:23 pm The only way for video output on edge connector is the Chroma interface. It is quite complex to create a picture from the edge connector, as there is no video output there. The Chroma interface is complex, because it remembers all the events on the address and data bus, and builds a picture from all information and recreates, what it believes is on the tv.

If you want VGA output I only know of the ZX-Wespi-V. This is not a ready made interface, but a recipe how to connect it inside your ZX81. 2 wires need to be soldered to your ZX81's PCB, and the power/ground can be taken from the power jack. You need to upload the firmware to an ESP32 board as well.

https://github.com/holmatic/zx-iot-video
Thanks for reply. What I'm looking for is a way to have video with good quality like composite or VGA but not opening the computer. I have some composite boards that I use sometimes to test my ZX81 clones, but wanna practicality on this :D Chroma 81 is the best way, just need a new batch. Thanks!
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

There are only two options:
  • Chroma interface without modification
  • Composite modification or Wespi modification
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

To get video out the border connector you have to build it from scratch replicating the ULA work outside. That's what the chroma interface or de ZX-HD does (this late for the spectrum).
Just being curious... what clones do you refer to? I have several myself some of them (without a ferranti ULA) doesn't produce a backporch signal. Some times you need an old TV set, others you até luxky and a new LCD one just do the job.. I have one 60" LCD that some times needs me to make a blind SAVE and then break to get in Sync at first start with some machines...
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As Martin says, there is no video signal available on the expansion port / edge connector on a ZX80, ZX81, TS1000 or other official ’clone’ that uses the same pin-out.

The Chroma interface cheats. It records memory writes to RAM by the Z80 CPU in it’s own RAM. Then uses it’s own custom logic to replicate the video functions of the ULA and in so doing, creates it’s own video signal.

The only inexpensive way to get a composite video signal from a ZX81, TS1000 or other official ’clone’, is to open the case and carry out a modification.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.