SLOW MODE issue

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
ekaww

SLOW MODE issue

Post by ekaww »

I have built a similar replica of ZX80 w/ slow mode. It’s working fine but has only one issue when working in slow mode.
Both inverse and graphic caracteres are missing a line over the caracter as you can see in the Picture.
Has anyone ever seen this problem?
Attachments
SLOW_FAST.jpg
Paul

Re: SLOW MODE issue

Post by Paul »

I had the same issue with a (most probably different make of) ZX80 replika. In my case I forgot a jumper. It's the line counter reset thats missing. In your case it might be a bad or missing solder point?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
ekaww

Post by ekaww »

Hi Paul,

What's the line counter in your ZX80 replica? The counter of mine is 74LS393.
I have attached the slow mode schematic and I checked and re-checked several times.
Attachments
SLOW MODE SCHEMATIC.jpg
Paul

Post by Paul »

I really don't know. Mine has been a replica made by Lee Hart many years ago. In this forum.So you should be able to find his schematic with the search function. It used "modern" parts so it wasn't very close to the original
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Pins 2 and 12 are the clear/reset pins on a 74LS393 counter. So check/test logic levels on these and the circuitry feeding them.

Can you please put your image in a zip file, then upload, so the forum software does not compress the image…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.