Dead ZXpand

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
acsi

Dead ZXpand

Post by acsi »

Well thanks to a faulty monitor my ZXPand+AY has bitten the dust after it put 96vac down the audio lead. Looks like the PIC, Gals and ROM at least are dead and possibly the AY chip. So basically every chip on it.

I gather these are no longer available? (I have no way of programming a GAL chip or the PIC)
acsi

Re: Dead ZXpand

Post by acsi »

OK so after burning a new rom and swapping the PIC chip out with the one from my ZX80 ZXPand I have identified the PIC chip as faulty.

Can this just be replaced or does it need to be programmed first?

Thanks
acsi

Post by acsi »

Actually it seems to have updated the chip fine after the swap.

Now to test the AY
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, PIC chips are easy to program, you need a PICkit programmer. The clones of the PICkit2 from China are apparently okay. Or you can buy the latest official version from Microchip.

I can’t remember if the ZXpand has holes/pads for a in circuit programming pin header. But it’s not hard to solder a IC socket and pin header to a piece of stripboard. Then wire it up.

A working PIC in a working ZXpand can have its “firmware” updated from the SD card.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
retrofan8081

Post by retrofan8081 »

I got in touch with sirmorris when my zxpand died and he was happy to repair it. If you have trouble with yours get in touch with him and see what he says. Worth a shot!