ZX80 loading from tape

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
loftcat

ZX80 loading from tape

Post by loftcat »

Hi, new here, seems like a great forum with lots of info. I have added a ZX80 to my little Sinclair collection - it has a decent TV signal and keyboard works fine. The only problem I'm having is loading programs through the ear socket at the moment, however being new to ZX80s I have a question. After pressing SAVE and newline I get a blank white screen, is that quite typical for the ZX80? Everywhere I've read so far it appears to produce a blank black screen at this point, and I've checked this in the Eightyone emulator. Do I have an unusual ZX80, or does it signal a possible problem? Thanks!
Paul

Re: ZX80 loading from tape

Post by Paul »

What kind of TV are you using?
Old BW CRT?
Any other may differ in what is shown on the screen while saving.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
loftcat

Post by loftcat »

Yes it's a early 90s mini 5.5 inch portable black and white TV.. Small but gives a pretty decent picture - black text on white background. Should I typically expect to see a black background on my CRT B&W TVs?
loftcat

Post by loftcat »

I've got things loading okay using WAV files and Audacity, the excellent Volume Tester Utility (http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... Tester.htm) helped me out here.

Still baffled why I have a white loading screen on a b&w CRT TV, but it's not a problem, just a curiosity!