Trying to make a 32K mod on Zx81 together with other mods

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
AmintaSpectrum

Trying to make a 32K mod on Zx81 together with other mods

Post by AmintaSpectrum »

Hi all!

In the past I've already made some mods to Z81s and this time I've tried to make also a 32k internal mod version, but with no luck: I've got a white screen.

I've attach the pics hoping you can help me somehow.

The composite mod and the Vla81 work very well and I've tried this rom adapter on another Zx81 ant it works, also I've inverted the L1 and L2 with. I've attach also the guide I've followed, thanks in advance!

PokeMon

Re: Trying to make a 32K mod on Zx81 together with other mods

Post by PokeMon »

Did this board run before the modification with the other components or just a first try ?
Maybe you just need another setting of trimmer R2 on the ZX8-CCB module as there is no Ferranti ULA inside but a rework (with possibly other voltage levels at the output). Just make a photo of the trimmers position and try to slowly turn R2 to see, if the cursor will appear.

By the way, the second black cable from the ZX8-CCB module is not necessary to connect to the modulator, one GND connection is good and enough. The brown cable can be feeded through the free third entry of the modulator. That makes you able to close its case.

When looking at your board and the description of vLA81
https://vdrivezx.com/vla81/
it is a simple replace plugin for the ULA. I think the black wire from pin 35 of ula (clk input) to pin 3 of cpu (A13) is wrong. I would remove this. And by the way, the vLA81 has a powerful video composite output and there is no need for the ZX8-CCB module at all. You can directly use a wire with a capacitor 100uF inbetween as described for the vLA81.
Paul

Post by Paul »

A13 to Pin 3 is needed for extended memory configurations.
Indeed with vla81 it's better to connect it directly instead with zx8-ccb.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Trevor_B

Post by Trevor_B »

Can I just get clarity on something;

I've just successfully put the internal 16k upgrade in place, using the "reversible" method. I've also got the VLA-81 in place and working well.

To get the switchable 32k (and Hires support) - is it just a case of reconnecting A13 of the RAM chip to pin 35 of the VLA-81 socket? Experience has shown that if I think something is just that simple, it probably isn't (#5 - https://vdrivezx.files.wordpress.com/20 ... v1.3-1.pdf)

Trev
Trevor_B

Post by Trevor_B »

If it's any help to anybody - I've had confirmation from Charles at VXDrive that it IS as simple as connecting A13 to Pin 35 of the ULA.

Trevor