Have I fried the ULA?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Liveinabin

Have I fried the ULA?

Post by Liveinabin »

Hallo all.
I thought it would be fun to work on my spare ZX81 - which already has a new power regulator and composite mod - but this time, to install an internal 16K unit that I had lying around. Here's my board with the 16K attached.
IMG_1386.jpeg
I thought I did an okay job on it but, on firing the 81 up:
IMG_1387.jpeg
I get this scrolling up the screen, flashing between two distinct sets of garbage (but attractively hi res) characters.
Key inputs don't do anything. I seem to remember from seeing similar faults that, when you have this graphics nonsense, it's the ULA.
Is that right? Have I killed the only custom component in this poor thing?
mcarlson_sb

Re: Have I fried the ULA?

Post by mcarlson_sb »

First I'd try putting the old RAM back.
That will narrow the problem.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As you are getting a video picture, it’s not necessarily a faulty ULA. Because the Z80 microprocessor is used to feed video pixel information to the ULA, a fault with the Z80, the RAM, the ROM or any of the interconnections (address bus, control bus and data bus) will cause problems.

If you connect an audio amplifier or cassette deck with a monitor mode to the mic output of the ZX81 (turn up the volume, the output signal is fairly small), then power up the ZX81 and blind type SAVE “S”, if the Z80 is running the ROM code, you should hear it try to save data to “tape”. Note that you don’t have to enter a program.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Liveinabin

Post by Liveinabin »

I’ll try SAVEing. Thanks. As for putting the old RAM back, I’m afraid I had to snip some legs. Couldn’t desolder them cleanly (and I do get the fear desoldering on Sinclair boards - I had a bad experience with a Spectrum!).
I guess I could carefully desolder this RAM board and fit some sockets.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I would suggest that you double check the PCB tracks and pads before doing any further work, it may just be a dry joint or cracked track, or maybe a solder whisker.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Liveinabin

Post by Liveinabin »

Right, I tried the SAVE”S” and, sadly, there was nothing (also did it on my working 81 to gauge what I should be hearing).
Can I infer anything from this?
Liveinabin

Post by Liveinabin »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:43 pm I would suggest that you double check the PCB tracks and pads before doing any further work, it may just be a dry joint or cracked track, or maybe a solder whisker.

Mark
Will do.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Liveinabin wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:46 pm Right, I tried the SAVE”S” and, sadly, there was nothing (also did it on my working 81 to gauge what I should be hearing).
Can I infer anything from this?
Yes, the Z80 is unable to run the code from the ROM, so it’s less likely to be a ULA fault.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Liveinabin

Post by Liveinabin »

Smart. Right, I’ll find a more powerful pair of glasses and go over those traces. I’m sure to have done something dreadful :)
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

doble check your keyboard before giving the save test as failed.. you are also testing the keyboard there ... and is a known source of failure to.. If you have a second working ZX then use that keyboard with the faulty board..
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D