ZX80 Composite Mod

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Brinmania

ZX80 Composite Mod

Post by Brinmania »

Hi

I've just bought my first ZX80, and at some point in the past it has had a rough and ready composite mod done to it (the same type as you can do the the spectrum). my question is can you improve this with a capacitor, like on the spectrum, or is it better to do the transistor composite mod

Thanks

Andy
Attachments
ZX80 Composite.jpg
1024MAK

Re: ZX80 Composite Mod

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello Andy

Because the video is mixed with the sync signal via resistors (for both the video and the sync), an active amplification stage is recommended, hence I suggest the transistor version. You can see my transistors version for the ZX81 via the link in my signature (below).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

For a ZX80, that never had a backporch, I recommend adding a backporch generating device. I use Pokemon's version.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Paul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:57 am For a ZX80, that never had a backporch, I recommend adding a backporch generating device. I use Pokemon's version.
Kind regards Paul
Yes, his ZX8-CCB is what I would normally recommend, but his shop is currently closed due the the COVID19 Corona virus outbreak. His Sell My Retro shop is here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Brinmania

Post by Brinmania »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a look at both your circuit Mark and Pokemon's as well

Thanks

Andy
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

I have my ZX80 connected with non backporch mod but the TV takes it well. I was lucky I guess. Some times I have to force it making it SAVE and when back the video is OK.
But if you are not lucky with the TV with the simple transistor mod you can go with the 555 based mod that builds the missing backporch
http://zx.zigg.net/misc-projects/
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D