Maximal restoration of ZX81

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: Maximal restoration of ZX81

Post by Moggy »

@ TBA
I had forgotten about all the crap that's going on in the world at the moment where people are dying and so arguing over our hobby is trivial and somewhat stupid.
In the spirit of friendship and good manners my apologies to you and welcome to the forum. :D

@Mark

I would quote your 2 posts but you would hit me with sticks and burn me with fire :lol: but I have learned more about the ULA in a couple of paragraphs than in the last 30 odd years, so some good has come from this.

For example I didn't know the 2c000 series had so little going on inside it, thinking more on the lines of modern multi cell logic etc and your explanation about the chips power usage/dissipation etc has now been copied to my files as a future reference guide.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Is it worth putting an edited summary of this information in a ‘sticky’ thread somewhere? These discussions come up from time time so a central repository of this info would be useful.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Well said Lardo, there is another post of Marks from way back somewhere describing all the significant ZX81 issues and differences which I suggested at the time should be a sticky so perhaps a topic heading with all this information as well as say chip descriptions as a goto especially for newcomers to the zeddy, I know I would find it very useful.

Late Edit.

You'll find the thread in Marks signature "ZX81 variations".