Where to buy brand new hardware

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Sinclairs-great

Where to buy brand new hardware

Post by Sinclairs-great »

Hello
Could anyone tell me where ( or if ) I can buy brand new zx80 and zx81 ,zx 82 hardware and software and joysticks for them??
Paul

Re: Where to buy brand new hardware

Post by Paul »

Most probably at sellmyretro.com.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
avrovulcan

Post by avrovulcan »

I think it's unlikely you'll find a brand new item, unless you mean new, old stock, where the box has never been opened.
There's several vendors on eBay selling ZX80 and 81 clone PCB's. These require you to source your own components and in most cases flash your own PROM/EPROM. I'm not sure that the PCB's are 100% identical to the original equipment, but a fully working clone can be built from scratch.
Most of these boards use the 74 series TTL logic as the original would have don, although you can in most instances use the CMOS equivalents.
I have, for example, just purchased a Jupiter Ace blank PCB so I can make my own version.
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that you'll find a ready built clone or the ZX80/81. Retroradionics do ready built Spectrum clones, but I haven't seen any other Sinclair machines available. Possibly 3D printed cases could be available somewhere??? That said though there are plenty of original ZX81 empty cases on eBay. ZX80's is another matter. My ZX80 is missing it's case, unfortunately empty cases for these don't turn up very often.
Joystick adapters are also available on eBay, these sometimes can be purchased as ready to go items or kits. As for Joysticks, I think that any old style 9-Pin D-type Atari joystick should work.

Kind regards

Andy
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

New, as in third party manufactured cases (ZX Spectrum rubber key type) were available a couple of years ago. I don’t know if they still available.

As stated above, recreated or clone ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum PCBs are available from time to time.

But unless you find a unopened computer from around 34 years ago, there are no brand new original ZX80s, ZX81s or ZX Spectrums.

There are various expansions that are brand new and available. Some come in cases, some are uncased. There are various manufacturers.

What are you interested in?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Sinclairs-great

Post by Sinclairs-great »

I like to buy anything to do with the zx 80 , games, joysticks , books.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, for a start, have a look around at Sell My Retro.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
rune

Post by rune »

If you want a ZX80 then have a look here...

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/minstrel-zx80.html