16k internal RAM and graphics issue (I think).

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
1024MAK

Re: 16k internal RAM and graphics issue (I think).

Post by 1024MAK »

Don’t bother with the 10kΩ resistor, as this is only required if you are fitting a battery back-up system [see http://www.zx81.de/english/32k-rame.htm ].
Without a battery, it serves no purpose.

With modern faster SRAM chips, sometimes a control line to the SRAM chip may need a low value capacitor (47pF to 100pF) to delay the timing. Connect between pin 20 and 0V/GND.

However, if BASIC runs okay, the first thing when having display problems is always to try different TVs/monitors. The normal SLOW mode from BASIC is not a standard broadcast video signal, and the various hi-res schemes will also not be generating a standard broadcast video signal. Hence some TVs/monitors may not like it.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Papalapa

Re: 16k internal RAM and graphics issue (I think).

Post by Papalapa »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:14 am Don’t bother with the 10kΩ resistor, as this is only required if you are fitting a battery back-up system [see http://www.zx81.de/english/32k-rame.htm ].
Without a battery, it serves no purpose.

With modern faster SRAM chips, sometimes a control line to the SRAM chip may need a low value capacitor (47pF to 100pF) to delay the timing. Connect between pin 20 and 0V/GND.

However, if BASIC runs okay, the first thing when having display problems is always to try different TVs/monitors. The normal SLOW mode from BASIC is not a standard broadcast video signal, and the various hi-res schemes will also not be generating a standard broadcast video signal. Hence some TVs/monitors may not like it.

Mark
Many thanks for the information Mark :D