Sinclair 16k RAM pack - how was it even working?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Lardo Boffin

Sinclair 16k RAM pack - how was it even working?

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I recently got a working RAM pack with a zeddy and while recapping it spotted the following:-

8BFC1256-E9F2-42F3-89E2-137F6939E41E.jpeg
How was it even working? So many dry joints.

I resoldered the joints and replaced the caps. All good.

Ran it for about 30 mins and now it is dead. I have very little luck with these. :evil: Maybe I should leave the original caps in? But I assume they are part of the power circuit and will kill it if they fail? Maybe these things are just a little fragile?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Re: Sinclair 16k RAM pack - how was it even working?

Post by 1024MAK »

Is the -5V present on the 4116 DRAM chips? That voltage should always be tested as soon as possible after powering up. A missing -5V supply is known to kill 4116 DRAM chips, as it is the bias supply for the substrate.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I will check thanks Mark.

If the caps are ok what would cause the voltage not to be there?
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The 16K RAM packs use an earlier version of the DC/DC transistor converter/inverter as used in the ZX Spectrum.

They draw power from the nominal +9V power pin on the edge connector and convert this to a semi-regulated +12V and a stablised -5V supply. 4116 (and equivalent) DRAM chips need a +12V supply for their internal circuitry, a +5V supply for the internal interface circuitry (for communicating with the CPU) and as I said, a -5V bias supply.

Causes of failure may be faulty capacitor(s), faulty transistor(s) or the coil having been damaged. If a DRAM chip failed and then went short circuit, this may then in turn kill the transistor(s), and then the loss of the -5V may cause more DRAM chips to fail...

I’ve not investigated or repaired the DC/DC transistor converter/inverter on the faulty Sinclair 16K RAM pack that I have, because the DC/DC transistor converter/inverter works. I think on mine, it is a failed ULA chip (it’s the later issue board).

Most people quickly give up trying to fix these and use a modern SRAM based solution instead. So if you do decide to continue, I wish you the best of luck. I will help where I can,

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
dessony

Post by dessony »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 pm The 16K RAM packs use an earlier version of the DC/DC transistor converter/inverter as used in the ZX Spectrum.

They draw power from the nominal +9V power pin on the edge connector and convert this to a semi-regulated +12V and a stablised -5V supply. 4116 (and equivalent) DRAM chips need a +12V supply for their internal circuitry, a +5V supply for the internal interface circuitry (for communicating with the CPU) and as I said, a -5V bias supply.

Causes of failure may be faulty capacitor(s), faulty transistor(s) or the coil having been damaged. If a DRAM chip failed and then went short circuit, this may then in turn kill the transistor(s), and then the loss of the -5V may cause more DRAM chips to fail...
So the TS1500 has its own DC/DC transistor converter/inverter section, too! The TS1500 has own 8 DRAMs "4116" chips.

DesSony
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Most people quickly give up trying to fix these and use a modern SRAM based solution instead. So if you do decide to continue, I wish you the best of luck. I will help where I can,

Mark
Thanks Mark. I have a ZXpand so am ok for extra RAM it just would have been nice to have a working Sinclair RAM pack. Maybe next time...
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000