AY on Zeddies

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
nihirash

AY on Zeddies

Post by nihirash »

Does it have same ports as speccy 128k?

And there is some demos/games for zx80(maybe 8k rom but without slow mode) to test it?

I think to use Speccy-designed AY-board with mine Minstrel.
1024MAK

Re: AY on Zeddies

Post by 1024MAK »

No, most AY interfaces on the ZX81 use the ZON-X sound interface ports. Note that there is an error in the manual, so modern recreations tend to allow both variations (the actual ports used and the ports printed in the manual). See here for more details of the ZON-X.

The most widespread AY interfaces are the ZXpand (manual here) and the modern remakes of the ZON-X, like the Mr-X Sound Board. More details here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
nihirash

Post by nihirash »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 pm No, most AY interfaces on the ZX81 use the ZON-X sound interface ports.
Oh, I wrong understand "speccy" compatibility on ZON-X schematics(I think that compatible with ZX-128K ports).

Ok, use it for DIY Speccy 48k, but for Zeddy will build ZON-X clone.

Thank you for quick response!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Tunes created on/for the Spectrum AY units will sound a couple of semitones lower when used with an 81 AY device due to these devices differing frequencies,it should be noted and some of the lower notes can sound a bit jarring especially the envelope sounds when played back on a Zonx/81 combination.
nihirash

Post by nihirash »

BTW, Is ZXpand Joystick connected to AY?

And is there schematics of connection it to AY?