WHSMITH Computer Program Data Recorder

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Lardo Boffin

WHSMITH Computer Program Data Recorder

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I happened across one of these in a bunch of other stuff and was going to get rid.
97945406-249D-46C0-BAC1-8D40EC102F65.jpeg
Having cleaned it I thought I would potentially sacrifice a tape that would not load anyway. Amazingly a tape I could never load before loaded first time. I have two copies of said tape (Atic Atac for the Spectrum) as I bought a second one when the first would not load. I could also not get this one to load previously.
This one also loaded first time. The tape player has a ‘Spectrum’ setting on it (!). I was wondering if anyone knew what magic it did to help tapes load?
I appreciate that previously I could have had the wrong volume settings (although I tried a few times before buying a second one) but even so it must be doing something? :shock:
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Re: WHSMITH Computer Program Data Recorder

Post by 1024MAK »

This " cassette deck with computer setting" came up on WoSf a few years ago. I don't think / can't remember if it was that model though (WH Smith just "badged" and sold these, they were available with other brand names).

Alas, I can't remember the outcome. A member was going to post up details...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.