TS1000 TV connection problem (might be ULA issue)

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
ts1000user

TS1000 TV connection problem (might be ULA issue)

Post by ts1000user »

Hi forum users.

I've bought a TS1000 from the Ebay a month ago and I immediately found out that the TS1000 is not properly working.

First the keyboard cable was all broken so I've ordered a new keyboard for zx81 from sellmyretro and I got the package this night. (Took less than 2 weeks. Amazing.) The keyboard replacement was easier than I thought it might be.

But then I realized that this machine isn't even properly working. It wasn't the keyboard's problem.

So I googled the back porch things and composite mod things but none of those topics were fitted in my situation.

Because I have two TS1000 and one of them are perfectly working and the other one isn't working on a same modern TV.

The working one has earlier serial numbers and the not working one has later serial numbers.

The later one (which isn't working) has 210E ULA. (Which has the back porch support as far as I know.)

If I understood the informations correctly, the later one should working fine on the TV since the earlier one works perfectly on the same TV through RF jack. But it doesn't.

And I think it's not the back porch problem because I get 'thick black and white horizontal noise screen' instead of the famous 'dark greyish background with blurry cursor' that every one talks about when they discuss the back porch issue.

I don't see the cursor. What I see is black and white (mostly black) horizontal noises with the 'not connected' TV sign.

But the weird thing is that when I connect the later one (which doesn't work) to the TV, the TV screen reacts somehow.

Not showing anything proper but the screen noises change from 'dot noise' to 'horizontal noise'.

If the TS1000 can't even be powered on then this shouldn't happen right?

So my guess is 'this machine is working somehow but it has display issue'

tldr; What this malfunction would be?

Is there any chance of it's the TV's compatibility problem? (which I think not since the earlier one works fine.)

Or ULA's problem?

Or any other possible problem?

I don't know where to start. Please help. :(

1.JPG
(304.33 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
2.JPG
(374.96 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
4.JPG
(151.04 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

PS. I'm from Korea and my mother language isn't English so please excuse my lacking English skill. ;)
MaFli

Re: TS1000 TV connection problem (might be ULA issue)

Post by MaFli »

Hi ts1000user,

Welcome to the forum! And nothing wrong with your English.
I'm sure someone can help you out. Many clever folks here :-)

But I had a quick look at the modulator on your TS1000. It is marked UM1082LA2/3. I recently bought a ZX80 with a similar modulator and that one was intended for the US market. I'm in Europe, so here we have have a different video signal. I'm not sure what the standard is in Korea though...
Wat is the marking on the modulator of the TS1000 that is working? Is that also a UM1082?

I also noticed the switch on the bottom. Is that standard? Or was that fitted by its previous owner?

*EDIT
Just found a picture of the bottom of a TS1000 and the switch is indeed there :-)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Assuming that they are both USA models (as that was the market for TS1000 machines), they both should have the same type of modulator. The switch that MaFli mentioned is simply the channel change switch (the USA modulars can transmit on one of two frequencies/channels).

Are the ULA chips on both boards in a socket? If yes, swap the ULA chips between the boards. So the ULA from the working board goes in the non-working board, and the ULA from the non-working board goes in the working board. Then test both. Has the fault moved with the ULA? Or did this make no difference?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
dessony

Post by dessony »

Hi ts1000user,

Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, you can check an ULA's back porch "wave" with a probe into a video output jack or on a "middle" wire before a video modulator or on a D9's anode.

10us 2v AC TVH

Hopefully, this will help you out,
Dessony
ts1000user

Post by ts1000user »

MaFli wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 pm Hi ts1000user,

Welcome to the forum! And nothing wrong with your English.
I'm sure someone can help you out. Many clever folks here :-)

But I had a quick look at the modulator on your TS1000. It is marked UM1082LA2/3. I recently bought a ZX80 with a similar modulator and that one was intended for the US market. I'm in Europe, so here we have have a different video signal. I'm not sure what the standard is in Korea though...
Wat is the marking on the modulator of the TS1000 that is working? Is that also a UM1082?

I also noticed the switch on the bottom. Is that standard? Or was that fitted by its previous owner?

*EDIT
Just found a picture of the bottom of a TS1000 and the switch is indeed there :-)
Thanks for the friendly reply. I feel welcome here.:)

Yes, Korea has the same NTSC standard as US. And also yes, the other working one has exactly the same ULA and Modulator as the not working one. It has 210E ULA paired with UM1032LA2/3 Modulator. The only visible diffrences are the 2 microchips at right side of the board.

111.JPG
(225.18 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

The working one has Toshiba & Sinclair Research chips and the not working one has NEC & ZCM38818P. Is there any chance that the chips are the reason of this malfunction?

The switch is CH2/CH3 selector. I heard that the British model (zx81) doesn't have the selector.

My only hope is that this is just a compatibility problem not a breakdown since I don't have much electronics knowledge. The reason I bought TS1000 is not for resurrecting vintage console. I don't have such knowledge yet. I bought it because I want to learn basics of computer structure and machine codes. The Raspberry Pie thing and Arduino thing are all too complicated for me. I first want to understand the very basics of computer structure before dip my foot into the much complicated computer structures.
I saw a modern 8bit Z80A computer kit but TS1000 was cheaper so I bought this one.:lol:
Last edited by ts1000user on Sat May 27, 2017 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
ts1000user

Post by ts1000user »

1024MAK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm Assuming that they are both USA models (as that was the market for TS1000 machines), they both should have the same type of modulator. The switch that MaFli mentioned is simply the channel change switch (the USA modulars can transmit on one of two frequencies/channels).

Are the ULA chips on both boards in a socket? If yes, swap the ULA chips between the boards. So the ULA from the working board goes in the non-working board, and the ULA from the non-working board goes in the working board. Then test both. Has the fault moved with the ULA? Or did this make no difference?

Mark
Thanks for the useful reply 1024MAK.:)

Yep they both have exactly the same ULA and Modulator.

Can the socketed chips be easily pulled out just by pull them out with hand? I'm scared of break the chips.:(
ts1000user

Post by ts1000user »

dessony wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:03 am Hi ts1000user,

Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, you can check an ULA's back porch "wave" with a probe into a video output jack or on a "middle" wire before a video modulator or on a D9's anode.

10us 2v AC TVH

Hopefully, this will help you out,
Dessony
Thanks for the useful advice dessony.:)

I'm not sure what 10us 2v AC TVH mean because I don't have much electronics knowledge. Can you please tell me how to adjust oscilloscope when I test my TS1000?

I've just ordered digital oscilloscope from aliexpress. It may take 2-3weeks to come.
Is there anything I can do to find out what happened to my TS1000 while waiting the oscilloscope?

PS. I bought a digital oscilloscope here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSO138- ... 88244.html
Is this product recommendable for someone who learning basics of electronics?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions.;)
↓This is how I feel right now.
4b311df8143175583539174534_700wa_0.gif
4b311df8143175583539174534_700wa_0.gif (546.21 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

ts1000user wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 8:06 am I bought a digital oscilloscope here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSO138- ... 88244.html
Is this product recommendable for someone who learning basics of electronics
Sorry to say this but no, its rather useless.
Looking at signals like clock and nmi etc. you have to consider the speed of these signals.

In a TS1000 the maximum speed is 6.5MHz (oscillator twice the clock speed). you need a sampling rate that is at least twice as high.
That would be 13MHz and the closest match would be a 20MHz oscillosope. on a 10MHz you would be missing information and the oscilloscope in your link is only sampling at 200KHz which is ok for audio signals but not for computer signals.

speaking about sampling: digital oscillosopes often speak about a sampling rate as well. Note that this should be around five times the signal you are trying to detect. Some producers say that sampling at twice the speed would be sufficient but believe me, five is the minimum ;)
I hope this answer helps a little bit.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello ts1000user

Welcome to the world of the ZX81 and TS1000 :D

And Welcome to our forum :D

Your English is fine. So please don't worry about that. There are members here from other countries, where their first language is also not English, so even if your word useage is slightly different, we are still likely to understand you.

The Sinclair ZX81 and the Timex TS1000 are very similar. Sinclair made a USA model of the ZX81, which were very much like the TS1000. The main difference are to do with the different TV standards and the need for a RF shield to comply with the regulations in the USA.

As you may know, the USA versions can output a TV signal on one of two diffent TV channels (frequencies), VHF channel 2 or channel 3. The USA uses a 525 line, 60Hz TV system.

In the U.K. the TV system was a 625 line 50Hz standard. UHF TV channel 36 was not used for broadcast television. So most computer manufacturers used this channel. Hence we don't have a channel selection switch. ZX81s exported to Europe (except France) also used UHF channel 36 on a 625 line 50Hz standard. Because the French used a different TV standard, these had different video circuitry.
ts1000user wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 7:48 amCan the socketed chips be easily pulled out just by pull them out with hand? I'm scared of break the chips.:(
No, not just by hand. There is a "trick" to it. The chips are held very firmly (tight) in their socket. So it takes some force to remove them. If you see or come across a IC (integrated circuit) or chip removal tool - do not buy or try to use such a tool. It will get a chip out of a socket, but it will also bend a lot of the legs (pins) on the chip.

Instead, we gently and gradually ease the chip out of the socket a bit at a time. Use either a normal table knife (a blunt table knife with a rounded end) or a small/medium normal slotted screwdriver. Working alternatively from each end, insert the blade of the knife or screwdriver in the small gap between the plastic case of the chip and the plastic of the socket. Don't push in too far, or you may damage the PCB under the chip (some sockets have large holes in the bottom). With a screwdriver, you only need to go in about 4 to 5mm. Then use the knife or screwdriver up in a lever type action to lift the chip about 1mm up from the socket. Then do the same at the other end. With a screwdriver, you can also twist it slightly to help lift the chip. Keep a finger or thumb resting on top of the middle of the chip, just in case it suddenly comes free unexpectedly. At first, the chip may "seesaw" but keep working from each end, each time raising it a bit further. Eventually the pins at one end will leave the socket, then be careful as you free the other end. When all pins are free, you can lift if off with your hand with no force and no bent pins :D
Also have a read of the description at this link. I can't find a good video showing this method:-(

Although the ULA chip is fairly hardy, take basic electro static discharge (ESD) precautions. Don't wear clothes made with man made fibres. Touch an earthed (grounded) metal item such as a cold water tap on a sink unit, or the metal case of an electrical item that is earthed/grounded each time before you handle a chip. If your environment if dry, you may want to use a ESD wrist strap (no need to keep touching an earthed/grounded item then) and
/or a ESD bench work mat. Also try not to touch the pins of the chip - hold it on the plastic case at the ends.

The pins on these chips (called DIL for dual in line) are splayed / sprung out. So it the pins may not line up with the holes in the socket when you go to refit it. Grab a plain sheet of paper and put it on top of a magazine, which in turn goes on top of your bench or worktop. This is to protect your worktop. Hold the chip horizontal between a finger and thumb at each end in using both hands so that one row of pins are near the paper on the worktop and the other row are upon the air furthest from the worktop. Push the pins at the bottom on to the paper and gently rock the chip backwards and forwards so that you bend the pins until they are at a 90 degree angle to the plastic case. Repeat for the other row of pins. You should find that it is now much easier to refit the chip in the socket. But still be very careful and check that all the pins go in the holes in th socket. If one does not go in the hole properly, the pin will bend and there is a very real risk that it may break off when you try to straighten it.

More later...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Found a video showing how to remove a chip from a socket using a screwdriver link
His way of fitting a chip in a socket runs the risk of bent pins unless the pins have been bent to 90 degrees as I describe beforehand.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!