Magicbridge 16k RAM pack capacitor change required?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Lardo Boffin

Magicbridge 16k RAM pack capacitor change required?

Post by Lardo Boffin »

On Friday I ordered a Magicbridge 16k RAM pack in order to bundle it with a zeddy I have been trying to sell for a while so as to sweeten the deal (although I think £50, boxed, working, good condition, complete and composite modded, 50% going to charity was pretty reasonable).
Typically the zeddy sold Saturday morning leaving me with the RAM pack. Hey ho.

IMG_6044.JPG
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 170 times

I can see that it has 3 capacitors and possibly more on the other side, they look to be 22uF 16V but I can't be sure about the middle one until I remove the one above it.

IMG_6045.JPG
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 170 times

Does anyone know if these need a capacitor change for the safety and well being of the RAM chips? I have no problem doing it but as can be seen it is properly glued in place! Looks like someone may have added a bit of glue since being bought...

As an aside this strikes me as being a bit of an odd design unless it was bundled with a stand or similar?

IMG_6046.JPG
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Re: Magicbridge 16k RAM pack capacitor change required?

Post by 1024MAK »

One thing that affects the useful life of electrolytic capacitors is heat. Because ZX Spectrums run hot inside, this is a large part of the reason why it is recommended to renew the electrolytic capacitors. The other part is that capacitor failure can result in the failure of the DC/DC converter/inverter, which in turn may damage the 4116 DRAM chips.

With the RAM expansions for the ZX81, heat is much less of a problem. And various different DC/DC converter/inverter circuits are used. So routinely renewing the electrolytic capacitors is not so critical.

However, without knowing circuit details, it is not possible to say if the electrolytic capacitors should be renewed or if it is okay to run them to failure...

In case of the unknown, some people decide to renew electrolytic capacitors regardless.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.