Proper voltage for ZX81 AC adapter

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msellan

Re: Proper voltage for ZX81 AC adapter

Post by msellan »

1024MAK wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:25 am The PSU with the cord that you want to replace, I have an alternative idea.
Instead buy a black table lamp switch (like this for example - ebay listing and use it to join the cable from the PSU with a new lead complete with plug suitable for the Zeddy ;)

Plastic cases with no fixing screws are held together by one of three methods:
  1. hidden clips (as you have said)
  2. glue
  3. plastic welds
Alas, unless you can see anything, it's anyone’s guess which method yours are held together with.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes, I agree - using another cable had been my plan "B". :) I actually have a few non-zx power bricks that use the same cord that no longer have devices to go with them and was going to replace the cord on the Sinclair with that. Best case was I could replace the whole cord, worse case, I could do as you suggest and put a switch in between the wall wart and the new/replacement cable end.

I was hoping perhaps that someone had already tried to open one of these and has a tale to tell about their amazing success or substantial regrets. ;) I'll hold off a while to see if anyone else has tried it.

Thanks again,

-mark
3 ZX80s (1 UK issue 2, 1 US issue 2 & 1 US issue 1), 5 ZX81s, 1 TS1000, 2 Memotech 16k RAM,
2 ZX81 16k RAM, 2 TS 16k RAM, 1 ZX81 unbuilt kit, 1 TS2040 printer, 2+ ZX8-CCB and counting