ZX8-CCB installation help

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msellan

Re: ZX8-CCB installation help

Post by msellan »

I managed to install the ZX8-CCB board into a recently acquired UK issue 1 zeddy and it works great! I can't believe how clear the picture is. And installing it into the modulator case wasn't too hard except for one thing-I couldn't get the old modulator board out of the modulator case to save my life.

I ended up clipping off the components of the RF board and just leaving it in there. I was afraid I was going to crack the zeddy PCB trying to pry it out. If anyone has any tips on getting it out of the modulator case without unsoldering the case itself, I'd appreciate it.

Here's a pic of it installed:
IMG_0779a.jpg
IMG_0779a.jpg (210.85 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
So thanks again Karl for an amazing little board! It's really awesome. I tell I'm going to need more of them ;)

Best,

-mark
3 ZX80s (1 UK issue 2, 1 US issue 2 & 1 US issue 1), 5 ZX81s, 1 TS1000, 2 Memotech 16k RAM,
2 ZX81 16k RAM, 2 TS 16k RAM, 1 ZX81 unbuilt kit, 1 TS2040 printer, 2+ ZX8-CCB and counting
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Good work !
To get all out of the modulator box you might need a welding torch. :mrgreen:
msellan

Post by msellan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes!!
3 ZX80s (1 UK issue 2, 1 US issue 2 & 1 US issue 1), 5 ZX81s, 1 TS1000, 2 Memotech 16k RAM,
2 ZX81 16k RAM, 2 TS 16k RAM, 1 ZX81 unbuilt kit, 1 TS2040 printer, 2+ ZX8-CCB and counting
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Or just break the old modulator circuit board by the careful application of extreme force :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

aarrggh, another modulator butchered, absolutely unnecessary, you can fit the ccb externally or even on top of the modulator case.... :(
msellan

Post by msellan »

1024MAK wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm Or just break the old modulator circuit board by the careful application of extreme force :lol:

Mark
:lol: I think that was what I was trying to do. I guess I need to go the gym or something. :D Seriously, I was trying to do that but the zeddy pcb was starting to flex. It's hard to believe that the little metal tab indents on the sides of the modulator case are the only thing holding the board in place. It's really in there.
gozzo wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 pm aarrggh, another modulator butchered, absolutely unnecessary, you can fit the ccb externally or even on top of the modulator case.... :(
Hi gozzo, I understand your point. From a purely technical point you are right. But now please consider my perspective: I have two kinds of ZX computers: ones I maintain in original condition and ones I tinker with because it's how I enjoy using them.

I wanted to see what it would be like to install a CCB board inside the case with the wires routed through the existing openings. It's not that it was necessary but it was an experiment in both procedure and aesthetics. It's an experience I wanted to have.

Of the 1.5 million ZX81s that were produced, many more experienced much worse fates that this for even less 'unnecessary' reasons. This one, although altered, will get many many more years of use as my daily driver zeddy.

In the spirit of compromise, I'll offer a challenge for you - devise a way to remove the modulator board from the modulator case and post it with pictures here and I'll never destroy another modulator board again. ;)

Best,

-mark
povvercrazy

Post by povvercrazy »

I think there are more than enough museum example zx81, spectrum and the like in the world... its not like they are uber rare,
If people want to use them regularly they should be modernised with respect to the power train and video output so that they
are more accessible and easier to maintain and keep in working condition.

Oh and as for removing a modulator board from the casing, I've done it a few times with out damage, first I completely remove the modulator
from the computer, then using both my soldering iron and desoldering vacuum gun thingymabob remove as much solder from everywhere I can,
And then just go around slowly prising and desoldering everything till I get the centre 'beam' out then the small pcb. I have a nice cheap set of metal spudgers that really help too, the modulator case gets a bit warm thou :)
Last edited by povvercrazy on Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

you dont NEED to remove the modulator board from its case..but if you must...easiest is to remove the thing completely from the main board, remove its bottom cover, and there are a few solder points where the board ground is connected to the case, unsolder them, the 47 ohm to the phono contact, and the 5v input from the feedthrough cap, and it'll come out nicely...
with a bit of extra circuitry you can have rf AND composite out 'simultaneously' ... (need to have the ccb and extra external, though )
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

even if you want to use your machine 'every day' (through composite) , still no need at all for modulator murder, just tack the ccb board onto the top of the modulator case(it wont be seen), wire it in as usual (disconnect the modulator 5v and input if you wish, but not necessary)... this way the mod is easily reversible if necessary.....
Paul

Post by Paul »

gozzo wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm reversible if necessary.....
what could cause such requirement? :?:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.