Can a ZXpand be attached AFTER a TS2040 printer ?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Bean

Can a ZXpand be attached AFTER a TS2040 printer ?

Post by Bean »

I have just ordered a ZXPand, and I would like to connect it to a TS1500.
But the ZXPand will block the connections, so I thought I could put the printer (TS2040) on first and that would provide enough room for the connectors.
So I was wondering if it matters either way if the ZXpand is before or after the printer.
Does anyone know ?

If it doesn't work, I could remove the printer circuits from the connector if that will allow it work.

Thanks,
Bean
RWAP

Re: Can a ZXpand be attached AFTER a TS2040 printer ?

Post by RWAP »

It should work - although the ZXpand ROM overwrites the COPY, LPRINT and LLIST commands to add ones to handle the SD card. You can however, still continue to use the printer at the same time, by disabling the ZXPand ROM as part of the load command (so that it is disabled as soon as the program is loaded)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I have just tried both my Alphacoms (TS2040) on two of my 81's (Issue 1 and 3) With an old issue 1 Xpand and the latest issue of Xpand and all I got was a screen full of garbage and neither 81 would boot up so cannot get as far as disabling the EPROM. :(
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Are we sure that the printers through edge-connector passes through all the signals? I have opened one of mine, but it was many years ago, and I can't for the life of me remember. I do remember thinking that something was odd about the arrangements though. But it was a while ago, so I may be mistaken....

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I remember someone on the old TS1000 forum having problems sticking a Memotech behind the printer connector rather than in front and from my own experience I believe the Alphacom doesn't work exactly like the Sinclair printer insomuch as it uses a normally unused address 16417 I think as a buffer or for some other purpose and screws programs up like ZXAS MCODER2 and the Maplin speech unit which also needs this address when attached, so does the Xpand use this address also?

I realise I'm probably talking bolux as usual. :lol:
Bean

Post by Bean »

Well, I'll try it when I get the ZXpand and let everyone know.

I seem to remember that the TS2040 "slowed down" some of the signals, but I don't remember the details.

Bean
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

If you can find a description of the edge connector we can look it over, see if anything is funky. If the printer grabs memory addresses in the bottom 16k this might be a problem, multiple devices driving the bus can be tricky..!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I'll take pictures of my Alphacom edge connector and post tonight.

I cannot recall just what this printer does but I'm almost sure address 16417 is used somehow hence the Maplin device not working when connected with printer and ZXAS and Mcoder 2 not liking it.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Not the best camera work but should be good enough to give some clues.
Attachments
Alphacom printer.rar
(4.74 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Bean

Post by Bean »

Seems to work okay on a TS1500 plugged in after the TS2040 printer.

The only thing odd I've seen is that sometimes the BREAK key doesn't work, even in BASIC programs ??? Not sure what that is all about, but I'll investigate further when I have time.

Bean