ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
britain4

Re: ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Post by britain4 »

I use this from Maplin's http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd ... oCVfTw_wcB

It's brilliant and you can use it with Hakko tips which are only a few quid for a pack of 10 on eBay. (Which you will need as it only comes with a fine point tip)

That's a great 'introduction to soldering' post 1024MAK and the only thing I would add is to make sure to clean the tip on a wet sponge as needed (I habitually do it every couple of solder joints) and make sure the tip is tinned.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Are they the instructions?

Lardo
Hi Lardo,

yes these are the instructions.

I am sorry if this is not sufficient for you but there are only 3 wires to connect (5V, GND, video in) and two wires for the video output. The location is described as text for every input wire and also a picture to show from the solder side. It is possible to do this from the component side as well but as the keyboard membrane is very sensitive and tend to break when removing the pcb from the case I decided the best way is just to open the backside and place a connector somewhere or maybe let the cable hand out at the side somewhere. I tried to get the instructions on one single page rather than a multi page manual which may be overhead.

I am sorry that this is not a plug-in module but the ZX81 was not prepared for such a device. Beginners soldering experience should be okay for this job. I think I now sold about 600-700 of these modules and maybe I get the 1000 full over the time. We will see. ;) And for me this is more fun and not a serious business but calculated my time invested to build up the modules and buying the parts, pcb production. That's it. It is not that commercial for me and I don't want to press as much money out of it as I can.

Cheers,
Karl
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

PokeMon wrote:

Lardo
Hi Lardo,

I am sorry if this is not sufficient for you but there are only 3 wires to connect (5V, GND, video in) and two wires for the video output. The location is described as text for every input wire and also a picture to show from the solder side. It is possible to do this from the component side as well but as the keyboard membrane is very sensitive and tend to break when removing the pcb from the case I decided the best way is just to open the backside and place a connector somewhere or maybe let the cable hand out at the side somewhere. I tried to get the instructions on one single page rather than a multi page manual which may be overhead.

I am sorry that this is not a plug-in module but the ZX81 was not prepared for such a device. Beginners soldering experience should be okay for this job. I think I now sold about 600-700 of these modules and maybe I get the 1000 full over the time. We will see. ;) And for me this is more fun and not a serious business but calculated my time invested to build up the modules and buying the parts, pcb production. That's it. It is not that commercial for me and I don't want to press as much money out of it as I can.

Cheers,
Karl
Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The locations of the wires to the ULA look pretty straight forward, it was the video out I was struggling with. Without seeing which bit of the ZX81 video connector it goes into I would be worried about killing something.

I guess it's just a beginners lack of confidence as I have very little experience with the hardware side of things.

I have ordered some strip board and wire to start practicing with...

Lardo
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

Here's one way of connecting the video out from the ZXCCB to the ZX81 - notice I've disconnected the resistor that was connected to the TV output
20161128_165115.jpg
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 436 times
And here you can see I've detached the two wires into the modulator. I've looped them back so they are kept in place once the lid is on.
20161128_165134.jpg
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 436 times
With soldering - just do a good bit of practice first and you'll be good to go.
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Fwapp wrote:Here's one way of connecting the video out from the ZXCCB to the ZX81 - notice I've disconnected the resistor that was connected to the TV output

20161128_165115.jpg

And here you can see I've detached the two wires into the modulator. I've looped them back so they are kept in place once the lid is on.

20161128_165134.jpg

With soldering - just do a good bit of practice first and you'll be good to go.
Thanks - that helps a lot. It looks very similar to the composite mod for the speccy.
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

No problem :)

That's a good way of thinking about it to be honest, it's just the wire comes from a separate pcb, not from the input to the modulator like on the speccy.
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Well, I've ordered a ZX8-CCB so we will see how it goes once I have had time to learn to solder to a reasonable level.

Expect an update next year....

Lardo
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

My understanding was that ZX8-CCB had the ability to inverse video [white letters on black screen].

That is why I chose it instead of ZXvid.

:)
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
britain4

Post by britain4 »

I've fitted quite a few CCBs and they are great, including one to a ZX80. Brilliant things and it's possible to go (almost) totally solderless on the install if you are so inclined - I didn't want to modify my ZX80 I wrapped the 5v and video in wires around the existing ones going into the modulator. I got a good ground with a ring terminal round the screw for the regulator heatsink. Alternatively you could cut the modulator wires and use choc blocks I suppose.

I did have solder the wire onto the centre of the video jack but this is trivial, not visible without removing the top of the modulator and easily reversed. Also possible by snipping the resistor and wrapping the CCB wire round. As I understand it there's need to connect the output ground on the CCB unless you're using an external jack - the jack on the modulator's already grounded.

However if it's not a rare and totally original machine you're working on, soldering is a much better option!
walterg74

Post by walterg74 »

PokeMon wrote:

Lardo
Hi Lardo,

Cheers,
Karl
Hi Pokemon. Do you know how long it takes to get one of these to the US? ( new york).

Thanks!