ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Post by Moggy »

Agreed Mr B :D

I was at a point of running out of carboot B/W TV's when Karl brought his board to the market. :lol:

Saved not only a couple of 81's but my ZX80 as well which along with modern regulators and ZXpands should be ok for some time to come, many thanks Karl. :D
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

Also agree - the zx8ccb has got many ZX81's back up and running, being used and enjoyed :D
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Thanks all - there is a lot of info there! I do like the look of the chroma interface with the SCART out. I knew they did one for the spectrum but did it know about the ZX81 version. Very portable should it need to be used on a different zeddy. But also very £60! Also a shame I recently got rid of (gave away) a QED Squart cable I could have used with that solution...

Does the CCB come with comprehensive fitting instructions? Edit - including pictures!

I think ultimately my bravery about fitting it will determine whether or not I go that route or pay MGC to do it.

Lardo
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

Hi Lardo, it does come with fitting instructions, but they are also in the listing on sellmyretro as a pdf if you want to have a read first :)
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Moving slightly away from the pros/cons of the two devices. You say that you have a soldering iron but have never used it :shock:

Soldering is both an art and a skill. As with any practical job, the quality of the workmanship depends on both the skill of the engineer and of his/her tools.

So, a few tips:
  • It's okay (indeed, for working on 1980's computers, recommended and legal) to use 60/40 (60% tin and 40% lead) 22SWG 0.7mm solder. It is easer for a beginner to use compared to most of the lead free solders that are available.
  • Use a decent iron (rated at 18W to 25W) with a chisel bit (size 1.2 to 2.3mm), NOT a pointed bit. Don't use a really cheap iron, as they are junk.
  • Search the web (and forums) for Soldering Guides, then read them.
  • Remember, only try to solder clean components/wires, heat both the pad/track AND the components/wire AT the same time, then feed in the solder to the joint (not to the iron tip) until you get a nice size conical pyramid (for through hole items). It's different for "surface mount items".
  • Get some stripboard and some scrap wire (like used for telephone or network cable) and practice (lots).
If you follow my advice, you will gain confidence and learn to solder ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote:Moving slightly away from the pros/cons of the two devices. You say that you have a soldering iron but have never used it :shock:

Soldering is both an art and a skill. As with any practical job, the quality of the workmanship depends on both the skill of the engineer and of his/her tools.

So, a few tips:
  • It's okay (indeed, for working on 1980's computers, recommended and legal) to use 60/40 (60% tin and 40% lead) 22SWG 0.7mm solder. It is easer for a beginner to use compared to most of the lead free solders that are available.
  • Use a decent iron (rated at 18W to 25W) with a chisel bit (size 1.2 to 2.3mm), NOT a pointed bit. Don't use a really cheap iron, as they are junk.
  • Search the web (and forums) for Soldering Guides, then read them.
  • Remember, only try to solder clean components/wires, heat both the pad/track AND the components/wire AT the same time, then feed in the solder to the joint (not to the iron tip) until you get a nice size conical pyramid (for through hole items). It's different for "surface mount items".
  • Get some stripboard and some scrap wire (like used for telephone or network cable) and practice (lots).
If you follow my advice, you will gain confidence and learn to solder ;)

Mark
Yes, I bought it a while ago intending to learn to solder but life got in the way :( . It only cost around £20 so I assume that puts it in the junk bracket.

How much do I realistically need to spend to get one worth using?

Given the extra expense of this and the time it will take to learn to solder to a reasonable level (I only get an hour or two a couple of times a week to do anything like this) I suspect I will go the turn key route at MGC when I have the cash.

Doubtless I will find myself in a similar position in 6 months and make the same decision... :oops:. Ironic given that I work for a company that preaches planned maintenance rather than reactive breakdown repair.
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Lardo Boffin wrote:Yes, I bought it a while ago intending to learn to solder but life got in the way :( . It only cost around £20 so I assume that puts it in the junk bracket.

How much do I realistically need to spend to get one worth using?
It depends on if it is a basic soldering iron (which uses thermal mass to hold the heat) or a "temperature controlled" soldering iron. If it is suppose to be a "temperature controlled" soldering iron, the lower priced units don't have proper (if any) actual tip temperature feedback, they just assume the tip temperature based on the power setting. Compare this to better quality soldering iron stations, which carefully control the actual tip temperature. Of course, these are very expensive.

But, you don't need a fancy temperature controlled soldering iron for basic electronic projects. A decent basic iron as described in my earlier post is fine. I use a Antex iron (actually an older model not shown on their web site). But they are a little expensive compared to the cheap Chinese irons.

Maybe post details or a picture (or both) of yours?

But before buying another, you need to play with yours. It may be okay for what you want.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote:
Maybe post details or a picture (or both) of yours?

But before buying another, you need to play with yours. It may be okay for what you want.

Mark
I got it from Amazon, the link is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006EX ... ref=plSrch

It's not temp controlled - it looks pretty basic!

Guess I will have to buy some bits and give it a go!

Lardo
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Fwapp wrote:Hi Lardo, it does come with fitting instructions, but they are also in the listing on sellmyretro as a pdf if you want to have a read first :)
The only PDF link I could find points to the file below:-
IMG_5130.PNG
(918.16 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Are they the instructions?

Lardo
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes :D

Anyway, I give the link to the pdf here anyway for you and anyone else that wants to take a look ;-)

Also see this post ;-)

You can also ask for help on this forum if you need it.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!