Is it working?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
lov1

Is it working?

Post by lov1 »

Hi All,

As for Spirantho auggestion viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200#p1476, I am openning a new thread. The idea is to ask for help on what I think are very "basic" subjects for experiences ZX81 owners, but not so easy to find or learn for new comers.

For Example, I just bought a TS1000 from an ebay seller, package contained a TS1000, a 16k memory pack, a HGR Memotech pack and a Sinclair tape recorder, TS1000 looks like new, but I haven't been able to test it yet.

The system does not include even a led to find if it is working or not, maybe experienced users can suggest what to test to find if for example RF modulator is not working, for example, CPU.

I am posting this under hardware as first concern is to make it work.

Regards

Luis
BrunoFlorindo

Re: Is it working?

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Hi Luis, and welcome. Where are you located? I've used my TS1000 on modern TVs here in the U.S. without any problem. I've used RF cables with the TV/Game switch but certain Radio Shack gender adapters also worked in the past. Based on what you have and where you are we can figure something out.
lov1

Post by lov1 »

Hi Bruno,

I am located in México, the package I bought did not include the TV/Game adapter. I may try to find if Radio Shack has an adapter, and I can try to get a used Atari Game adapter.

I read on a different forum that a way to find if CPU is working is pluging an earphone set into the cpu and pressing SAVE and ENTER commands, if some wave sound is heard CPU is working. what do you think?

Regards

Luis
Spirantho

Post by Spirantho »

That'd work, but the command is SAVE "hi" or something.
Also remember that if your S, SHIFT, P or ENTER keys aren't working (quite likely as the ribbon for the keyboards deteriorate) then you'll also get no sound, even if the machine is fine and just needs a trim on the ribbon!
Ian Gledhill
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for all your retro-computing needs (especially Sinclairs!)