ZX80 Oddity with Replacement ROM

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
VectrexRoli

Re: ZX80 Oddity with Replacement ROM

Post by VectrexRoli »

Never tried those flicker free games with the RF signal as I built in the ZX8-CCB before I go my ZXpand up & running.
britain4

Post by britain4 »

VectrexRoli wrote:Never tried those flicker free games with the RF signal as I built in the ZX8-CCB before I go my ZXpand up & running.
Hmm what sort of TV are you using? I didn't want to modify my ZX80 at all but I might if it makes the thing usable.
VectrexRoli

Post by VectrexRoli »

Just an older 4:3 LCD TV with AV in, nothing fancy and the picture looks nice and sharp. The modulator had issues and I didn´t want to repair it, so as you can see on the photos above I simply put the video mod PCB on top of it and I am using the RF out jack as video out now. It works great and was not really expensive to do.
britain4

Post by britain4 »

VectrexRoli wrote:Just an older 4:3 LCD TV with AV in, nothing fancy and the picture looks nice and sharp. The modulator had issues and I didn´t want to repair it, so as you can see on the photos above I simply put the video mod PCB on top of it and I am using the RF out jack as video out now. It works great and was not really expensive to do.
Thanks for the tips. I'm using an older LCD but it still doesn't like it on RF. I've got a CCB in my ZX81 and they are awesome, my ZX80 is completely untouched inside so I didn't want to do any soldering on it but at least it would be reversible I guess!
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

You can connect the ZX8-CCB with just three solder joints in parallel to the existing modulator. So full reversible. ;)
Paul

Post by Paul »

I connected the ZX8-CCB with clips instead of soldering to my dear ZX80.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
britain4

Post by britain4 »

Thanks. I think I know what I'm doing this evening then, an (almost) solder free CCB install on my 80. Gutted the modulator on my 81 but can't bring myself to mod the ZX80.

Could go totally solderless (to the ZX80) and have an external composite jack on a cable but that might look too messy and hamper usability.

Anyway ramble over we will see what happens when I get my ROM.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Why not mod it? :?:

They aren't Rembrandts Ferraris or some other type of pension plan. :D
They were made to be used and as much fun as possible to be extracted from them.
Why dig an old tv out of the skip? three solder joints(now watchable on any tv) one switching regulator(less bloody heat) and one Zxpand(one second and not six mins to load football manager) later and you can have a perfectly good but now USABLE ZX80.

Could always put it in a nice glass cabinet and polish it occasionally I suppose. :lol:

Never quite got the "careful it's fragile" reverence for the 80 which in my experience is a damn sight stronger electronically than the 81 and certainly more hardy than the speccy.

Use it abuse it but above all enjoy it that's why Uncle Clive made it!!

This is one of my usual Thursday afternoon too much single malt rants Britain4 please feel free to ignore me like everyone else does. :lol:
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

As long as you are not physically modding your hardware with too much single malt ...
Cheers. :mrgreen:
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

That tends to end up with modding the end of your finger off ;)
modded
modded
8762_107460779422406_740518380_n.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 2853 times