Memotech ZX81 keyboard + ZXPand

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
palmheads

Memotech ZX81 keyboard + ZXPand

Post by palmheads »

Just paid way too much, but one of these should be arriving in a couple of weeks or so. Gonna be a cool addition - hopefully it works!

It was one of those ebay auctions where you see it, want it, I put a bid on with about 15 min left on the auction - not thinking much - expecting to lose - it was alot of money - but got a shock when I won it!

Have always wanted one, so not a bad thing.

I posted a question a few years ago about one actually. Seems people who have one love the things, so am looking forward to it arriving.

My ZXPand arrived just before Christmas. It is a fantastic device!

cheers
Daryn
Moggy

Re: Memotech ZX81 keyboard + ZXPand

Post by Moggy »

Yes a nice choice and don't worry about the cost, I don't if you want get it and enjoy it that's my philosophy. :lol:

You might find if the keyboard hasn't been used for a while that the keys can appear a bit stiff or "grindy" (is that a word?) at first. In which case a quick blast of silicone spray like Flash dash or any other vinyl dashboard type spray over the key board will soon help to loosen the keys up and don't worry about the spray getting into the contacts as the switch bodies are very well sealed.

One more thing don't expect touch typing speed as regardless of Memotechs boast of it having a key buffer it unfortunately doesn't (the Memotext module does) not in the proper sense of the word, so the zeddy will react at roughly the same speed as if using the membrane , it's just easier to use and a better experience so adopt a nice steady rhythm and alls well.

Mines still going strong since 1983. :D
palmheads

Post by palmheads »

Cheers Moggy! Will see what condition the thing is in on arrival. Looks OK from the pics, but from experience you cannot sometimes expect too much from hardware this old from an auction site.

Fingers crossed it just works, but good advice on bringing it back to life. Amazing you've had yours for 32 years - thats fantastic!

cheers
Daryn
XorA

Post by XorA »

Put your ZX-Pand in a memotech case as well and it stacks REALLY nicely with the keyboard!

G
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

palmheads wrote:Cheers Moggy! Will see what condition the thing is in on arrival. Looks OK from the pics, but from experience you cannot sometimes expect too much from hardware this old from an auction site.

Fingers crossed it just works, but good advice on bringing it back to life. Amazing you've had yours for 32 years - thats fantastic!

cheers
Daryn

I can't envisage too much being wrong with it after all it's just a bunch of switches with some electronics (all easily replaceable) tacked on.

A rough guide would be if the legends aren't worn off then it hasn't been hammered and should be ok.

Also in fairness I've replaced one or two switches over the years and I have rotated it with a Crofton, kaydee and Fuller set-up, so not in constant use.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

XorA wrote:Put your ZX-Pand in a memotech case as well and it stacks REALLY nicely with the keyboard!

G
What we need now is a case that encloses the AY unit as well, 3D printer anyone? :lol:
rune

Post by rune »

I got a Memotech keyboard a few months ago. Initially I was a little disappointed because I expected the buffer to allow faster typing. But once you accept it runs about the same speed as a normal ZX81 keyboard it is really nice.

Dont know what you paid for yours but I got a ZX81, Memotech keyboard, a memotech 16K rampack and a Sinclair 16K ram - both look like they have never been taken out of the box, PSU, manuals with original guarantee cards, magazines, software and books for 44.

I also had an old Memotech 16k module that was used for the ZXPand.

With Pokemons composite module its a nice setup.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I think it is possible to write an own (faster) keyboard driver.
A few month ago I made some progress with some attempts using own drivers for keyboard and display but still not finished due to spare time.
It is possible to type the same key several times faster than different keys.
This has the reason in the quite simple debounce routine.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

PokeMon wrote:I think it is possible to write an own (faster) keyboard driver.
A few month ago I made some progress with some attempts using own drivers for keyboard and display but still not finished due to spare time.
It is possible to type the same key several times faster than different keys.
This has the reason in the quite simple debounce routine.
Kelly(Kmurta) wrote his own keyboard routine for Toddy forth and the Zxpand commander and I have to say it doesn't work well with eternal keyboards. A normal length key press can result in up to 5 repeats of said key so a tippytap style of typing has to be used with toddy forth and renaming files in Zxpand commander using Memotech keyboards can sometimes cause unwanted key repeats.

I mentioned this to Kelly and he suggested a poke to alter the key repeat rate but this didn't work, all it did was alter the time took to repeat after the unwanted chrs appeared.

I seem to recall Mark suggesting that it may be the mechanics of the switch itself causing the de bounce effect, when I mentioned that the Memotech switch is a copper strip sliding over copper strip type as opposed to a definite click switch.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

No-one mentioned there was a keyboard problem with commander :O

It's true that it has its own auto-repeat code. Does this interfere with the memotech?